1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New B lat housing

Discussion in 'Tarantula Feeding and Feeder Insects' started by octanejunkie, Apr 18, 2018.

1. octanejunkie

octanejunkie Active Member 3 Year Member

Decided to upsize out roach colony housing using a $7 sterilite container from Home Depot and some mesh screen following this video from Alex at Tarantula Haven. Because the roaches prefer darkness, I spray painted the sides with a $1 can of black spray paint. Total investment in this container is about $10

I am storing the container on a baker's style metro rack and have a standard home heating pad on low under the container, this raised the floor temp to around 85-90 degrees.

I'm using a few egg cartons cut in half making handling easy inside the container, though as the colony grows we will probably need to add more egg crate.

Food and water are simple, dried dog food and water bites in a small planting basket.

We just upgraded to this so I will update this thread if anything changes for better or worst to warrant an update.
    Happy roaching!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Dave Jay likes this.
  2. Tortoise Tom

Tortoise Tom Well-Known Member

I've got mine in an 18 gallon tub. I use 12x12inch egg flats and cardboard dividers.

I also read that roaches like darker bins, so I did some side by side testing for a couple of years. I saw no difference between sterilite clear containers and blue, green, or gray opaque containers. I now prefer the clear bins because they are smoother inside, which makes it harder for the little buggers to find their way out, and because I like to be able to see what's going on in there.

You could have saved $1 on paint!!!
    octanejunkie and Dave Jay like this.
  3. octanejunkie

Lol I have a clear one for cleanup transfers

Hoping the humidity is high enough for the oothecas to hatch, so far none have

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  4. octanejunkie

Update

I have thousands of roaches lol

Tortoise Tom likes this.
  5. Tortoise Tom

Tortoise Tom Well-Known Member

Welcome to my world. I measure the amount of roaches in pounds now.
  6. octanejunkie

Hahaahaha

I posted a CL ad to offload some

Draft saved Draft deleted