• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New addition

Ditch crawler

Tarantula Club Member
Since my greenbottle blue has decided to seal up its hide, I got fed up staring at substrate and the coconut shell, so I've bought another T, this one is a Grammostola pulchra called Matilda (I was told she's a female ?), she came to me in a 12" x 12" x 12" Repti zoo enclosure, I've had her 4 days now and she has barely moved from where she is in the photo, today I offered her a cricket and she let it walk right past her, should I be concerned or just give her more time to settle in before trying to feed her again
16302437271075140140167782848428.jpg
16302437867319189077578252841551.jpg

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Common behavior for pulchras. Don't sweat it. This species can enter an exquisitely long pre-molt as well. Leave the prey in for one day and,, if still there,, re.ove it.. Just try again next week and keep a full water dish. Beautiful T. Congratulations!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I would do it sooner, so she can get over it sooner, and not fall from too high while settling in.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks Octanejunkie, I'll get a block of coir when I'm out tomorrow, that should fill it up a bit, would you dry it out or put it in moist ?, so many things to think about lol
Is your current substrate 100% coco foir?

If yes I recommend getting a bag of peat moss, like this:
Screenshot_20210829-115915.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CBITW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Mix that with your coco substrate 50/50 and pack it down to leave 1.5-2x DLS (of the spider) free climbing height.

I have found mixing coco foir and peat moss prevents mold from occuring, and you don't have to rehydrate the peat moss.

Regarding how damp/moist your substrate should be, that depends on the animal you are keeping and what it's needs are. G pulchra wants drier substrate with a damp corner/overflowed water dish.

Ditch crawler

Tarantula Club Member
Is your current substrate 100% coco foir?

If yes I recommend getting a bag of peat moss, like this:
View attachment 59219
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CBITW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Mix that with your coco substrate 50/50 and pack it down to leave 1.5-2x DLS (of the spider) free climbing height.

I have found mixing coco foir and peat moss prevents mold from occuring, and you don't have to rehydrate the peat moss.

Regarding how damp/moist your substrate should be, that depends on the animal you are keeping and what it's needs are. G pulchra wants drier substrate with a damp corner/overflowed water dish.
I'm not sure what it is, it was already in the enclosure when I picked her up, I'll see if I can get some peat moss to mix in.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm not sure what it is, it was already in the enclosure when I picked her up, I'll see if I can get some peat moss to mix in.
100% peat moss won't hurt, nor organic top soil (though I don't use soil) as long as you pack it firm and get the right free-climbing height.

You could even put an upside down bin in there, under the substrate, to take up space so you will need less substrate to get the right height.

Ditch crawler

Tarantula Club Member
100% peat moss won't hurt, nor organic top soil (though I don't use soil) as long as you pack it firm and get the right free-climbing height.

You could even put an upside down bin in there, under the substrate, to take up space so you will need less substrate to get the right height.
Getting the coir block wont be a problem, looks like a visit to the local garden centre for the peat moss

Ditch crawler

Tarantula Club Member
Upon the advise from Octanejunkie (thank you), I've increased the depth of substrate considerably, I couldn't get peat moss unless I bought a 100 litre bag, which seemed rather a lot for one enclosure so I had to settle for top soil, coir block was much easier to find, now the enclosure has been revamped my T has taken to hanging on the back wall, is this because the substrate is damp still or is it just a spider thing ?, incidentally she's still not eaten since I've had her which is 5 days.

16303320314492144370684524422182.jpg
16303320314492144370684524422182.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Could be because the substrate is damp could also be because things changed

DonnaJoan

Since my greenbottle blue has decided to seal up its hide, I got fed up staring at substrate and the coconut shell, so I've bought another T, this one is a Grammostola pulchra called Matilda (I was told she's a female ?), she came to me in a 12" x 12" x 12" Repti zoo enclosure, I've had her 4 days now and she has barely moved from where she is in the photo, today I offered her a cricket and she let it walk right past her, should I be concerned or just give her more time to settle in before trying to feed her againView attachment 59205View attachment 59206
Hi, I have a GBB that moulted recently and has been in her hide since. She eats XLG locusts but seems to be kicking them out and secures the entrances with her web. I also have a GP but she rarely eats and I’ve tried everything but she doesn’t seem interested. I’m going to try flightless fruit flies next

kevpay25

Since my greenbottle blue has decided to seal up its hide, I got fed up staring at substrate and the coconut shell, so I've bought another T, this one is a Grammostola pulchra called Matilda (I was told she's a female ?), she came to me in a 12" x 12" x 12" Repti zoo enclosure, I've had her 4 days now and she has barely moved from where she is in the photo, today I offered her a cricket and she let it walk right past her, should I be concerned or just give her more time to settle in before trying to feed her againView attachment 59205View attachment 59206
I have two G. pulchra and they only web when they are in premolt. I would still monitor her b/c my G. pulchra are usually very active during premolt