1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need to call an exterminator soon . . .

Discussion in 'General Tarantula Discussion' started by KhoanScart, Mar 16, 2019.

1. KhoanScart

KhoanScart Member

So it looks like some bees decided to swarm around my window and the entrance to our attic. We'll have to call an exterminator soon and I've already arranged for my brother in law to keep my tarantulas at his place while this gets taken care of. How long should they stay out of the house before I can bring them back in? Is a week long enough?
  2. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member Premium Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

I think usually with bees they just subdue them with smoke and take them away. I'd ask them if they will be using chemicals of any kind.
    Inventory Full, RonC and ilovebrachys like this.
  3. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Well-Known Member

Enn is correct, they probably won’t be using any chemicals. They’ll probably just collect the bees and relocate them.
    ilovebrachys and Enn49 like this.
  4. Rs50matt

Rs50matt Well-Known Member

It sounds stupid but I think bees are protected so they aren't allowed to kill them. They'll possibly remove your facia and locate the queen and relocate. Check to make sure but better to be safe than sorry
  5. bbbs53

bbbs53 Member

Call a beekeeper and have them capture the swarm. It is in the phonebook under apiary. Killing them is not the way to go, they are way to valuable to the keeper. I don't allow ANY insecticides on my property and of course do not collect outside bugs for food. The contamination factor is just too great and my spider is way too sensitive having never been exposed. I worked in a apiary when I was younger and was in on collecting many swarms. Each one becomes a hive with all of the resulting benefits. This is the time of year for them to swarm and to get into places they aren't welcome. Bees are for the most part harmless and seldom sting unless provoked.
  6. Tortoise Tom

Tortoise Tom Well-Known Member

I was going to say what bbbs53 said. I work with bees on a regular basis. They are usually harmless and very beneficial to have around.

Don't call an exterminator. I've seen many exterminators fail because even while spreading toxic poisons all over your house, they often can't get to where queen and most of the hive has taken refuge. Call a bee guy. They will come remove the queen and vacuum them all up and get them out of there for you.
    ilovebrachys and KhoanScart like this.
  7. KhoanScart

KhoanScart Member

Thanks for the replies! The bees seemed to have moved on, but I'm glad I know what to do for future reference. I like bees and I don't want to kill them, but I also don't want them inside my house.
  8. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

I like them too. There is nothing funnier than watching someone disturb a hive, and run screaming in terror, ripping their clothes off and hitting themselves. Lmao.
  9. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member Premium Member 1,000+ Post Club

From what I understand, they capture the queen and then kill the rest by hitting them with soapy water. Still, I'd let the exterminator know that you have tarantulas, even if you have removed them from the home