• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need Help! (not eating)

PKDW

My Husband and I just got a B. Smithi sling a week ago and we are getting concerned. He/She ( Smithi as we are calling it or S for short) hasn’t eaten since we brought S home and just stays in the one corner of its inclosure.

We took the advice of the pet shop we purchased S from and rehoused he/she once we got S home, we used a 50/50 mix of coconut fibre and soil. We sprayed the one corner as recommended by several sites and gave S a burrow, some fake foliage and a water dish.

The shop said they were feeding it once a week live mealworms, according to them S last ate over a week ago. We tried a live mealworm and S almost ran away from it, after a few min we took the mealworm out for fear of it hurting S. A few days later we tried a dead mealworm after reading several threads from this site but again S wouldn’t touch it.

We are so worried the poor little thing is going to die. Any help would be amazing

Attachments

• E74B7173-F5AB-45F0-9F1B-16285FB8BD61.jpeg
    E74B7173-F5AB-45F0-9F1B-16285FB8BD61.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
  • 81B08114-952C-4659-955B-2D1ECFBE3A33.jpeg
    81B08114-952C-4659-955B-2D1ECFBE3A33.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A week without eating is nothing, it could just be acclimating. No need to mist regardless of species. B. hamorii and all of the other red legged Brachys like things dry with a water dish.

I have a B. albopilosum that has yet to eat for me since I got her, and that was a year ago.

What are you housing your sling in if I might ask?

PKDW

A clear plastic container with holes drilled along the top and in the lid... it was suggested by the pet shop and measures 7” x 9” and about 4.5” tall. Could it be too big for S?

Tnoob

B smithi are known for food refusal. I wouldn't worry unless you see a death curl, which in my limited knowledge is unidentifiable to myself.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
B smithi are known for food refusal. I wouldn't worry unless you see a death curl, which in my limited knowledge is unidentifiable to myself.
I haven’t had a B. smithi refuse food before unless it was in premolt.

My Husband and I just got a B. Smithi sling a week ago and we are getting concerned. He/She ( Smithi as we are calling it or S for short) hasn’t eaten since we brought S home and just stays in the one corner of its inclosure.

We took the advice of the pet shop we purchased S from and rehoused he/she once we got S home, we used a 50/50 mix of coconut fibre and soil. We sprayed the one corner as recommended by several sites and gave S a burrow, some fake foliage and a water dish.

The shop said they were feeding it once a week live mealworms, according to them S last ate over a week ago. We tried a live mealworm and S almost ran away from it, after a few min we took the mealworm out for fear of it hurting S. A few days later we tried a dead mealworm after reading several threads from this site but again S wouldn’t touch it.

We are so worried the poor little thing is going to die. Any help would be amazing

Your spider actually looks quite healthy and well feed. If it refuses food again I would say it is in premolt. Just make sure you keep the water dish full during that time until it molts. After a week past molting you can try to feed it again.

PKDW

Update...

Smithi Molted!!! S dug itself into a burrow and blocked off the opening a few days ago and just stayed buried. We came home last night to see the end and S cleaning its legs after molting. It was incredible to see, can’t wait for S to come out of its hole so we can get a good look at him/her.

Attachments

• 680A9F8C-AFCD-4E75-A1A1-63CF00A41DF3.jpeg
    680A9F8C-AFCD-4E75-A1A1-63CF00A41DF3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well done little T! :) leave him a week or so before you try feeding him again so he has time to harden up after moulting....

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, we will be leaving S alone to recoup ... one question will S dig out of the burrow once ready?
Yes they usually come out when good and ready....each T can behave a little different some shy away in there burrow more than others so when its happy to I'm sure you will see it out and about:)

Nunua

3 Year Member
Others have explained things to you already, so I'll just do my best to help you feel more comfortable with premolt time.
Here's my Brachypelma auratum (lipstick for size reference) to whom it's perfectly normal to have a molt cycle of 77 days from which it can stay 57 without eating :D
afd368099e.png

Last edited:

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Update...

Smithi Molted!!! S dug itself into a burrow and blocked off the opening a few days ago and just stayed buried. We came home last night to see the end and S cleaning its legs after molting. It was incredible to see, can’t wait for S to come out of its hole so we can get a good look at him/her.
You will be amazed how good she looks! :)

PKDW

S has been doing great! Came out of its hole a few days after the molt and has been eating quite regularly since. S looks fantastic and healthy looking forward to the next molt :T:

Latest posts