• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My tarantula not eating

Gurat

Hi guys, im trying to find some help because im a bit worried. My tarantula has stopped eating, its been for more than a month, even i think a month and a half. At first i thought that she was going to molt, but she didnt molt at all either. I dont know what the problem is, she is refusing all the food given to her. Can you please help me out on this? Im worried sick now, thanks

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Hi guys, im trying to find some help because im a bit worried. My tarantula has stopped eating, its been for more than a month, even i think a month and a half. At first i thought that she was going to molt, but she didnt molt at all either. I dont know what the problem is, she is refusing all the food given to her. Can you please help me out on this? Im worried sick now, thanks
I know it can be easy to worry but most tarantulas will stop eating if there abdomen reaches a certain size. It may be premolt and depending on the size of the t premolt can last several weeks and possibly months for slower growing species. Some species have also been known to fast during the winter months. Not knowing what species and the size of the spider those are the potential reasons I can think of but just know that the chances are your spider will eat, just have some patience.

Gurat

Guys this is my setup and my T. My T is the chaco golden knee specie

Attachments

• 20191219_164609.jpg
    20191219_164609.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35

Gurat

I know it can be easy to worry but most tarantulas will stop eating if there abdomen reaches a certain size. It may be premolt and depending on the size of the t premolt can last several weeks and possibly months for slower growing species. Some species have also been known to fast during the winter months. Not knowing what species and the size of the spider those are the potential reasons I can think of but just know that the chances are your spider will eat, just have some patience.
I posted a pic

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
What do you mean please when you say fasting? Sorry but my english is not that good
No worries! Fasting is just a period of time when they don’t eat. Sometimes this happens when their abdomen reaches a certain size and then they stop eating. Some keepers have seen their ts fast over the winter season. As I said, nothing to be worried about, Grammostola species are known to fast.

Gurat

Guys, now i noticed that about two weeks ago she went in her hide, and i didnt see her again, is that normal? Here it is winter season, and winter here its a bit cold

Gurat

It’s possible it’s gone into its hide to moult. Or just be left alone. It’ll be fine. Don’t dig it out.
Still worrying a bit though. Im not gonna dig it out, but its been there since new years eve, that is 6 weeks, and its been not eating almost 4 months now. You think that is normal?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
grammostola can have a long premoult period. Not eating for 4 months isn't an issue. You could leave a prekilled food item in the enclosure for it overnight. There's a possibility it's just not interested thou.
image.jpg

This is a pic of our G pulchripes. Can't tell you last I saw of it. But hopefully it'll give you abit of reassurance :)

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
grammostola can have a long premoult period. Not eating for 4 months isn't an issue. You could leave a prekilled food item in the enclosure for it overnight. There's a possibility it's just not interested thou. View attachment 43519
This is a pic of our G pulchripes. Can't tell you last I saw of it. But hopefully it'll give you abit of reassurance :)
That looks exactly like my b.hamorii haha

Latest posts