• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My new son.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Well my growing collection was just blessed with yet another addition, you guys. I'll upload some pictures soon, hopefully of the full collection. This guy just arrived today and is a common garter snake or Thamophis Sirtalis. I've named him "Apophis" after the Egyptian serpent diety and right now he's about 18 inches long. He's healthy, active, curious and beautiful plus surprisingly gentle for being handled by me for the first time when I put him in his habitat. The place I ordered him from must have pre-socialized him. He's going to eat nightcrawlers, guppies and the occasional pinky mouse.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
I watched a video of one eating fish out of its water bowl. Been wanting one ever since :) Congrats! Pics soon? ;)

Of course! I'll try and get some as soon as I can. On that note you guys still need to see Beefsteak, the newer of my two tomato frogs :) Absolutely you should try and get one. Snakes are really cool and this species can eat mostly nightcrawlers, a real relief if you don't feel like giving them rodents. Here's a link to where I got Apophis :)

http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/garter-snakes/garter-snake-for-sale.html

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
I watched a video of one eating fish out of its water bowl. Been wanting one ever since :) Congrats! Pics soon? ;)

Here you go! Here's a picture I got just today!
Apophis.jpg

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I'm not sure about in captivity, but I know in my area (East Coast-Massachusetts) garter snakes are fairly common in the wild/human gardens which does have wide temperature ranges so I feel like they will be quite hardy and a good choice for a first snake, but I myself don't know much temperament and I got my first snake about 3.5 weeks ago myself so I am new to snake keeping as well.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
I'm not sure about in captivity, but I know in my area (East Coast-Massachusetts) garter snakes are fairly common in the wild/human gardens which does have wide temperature ranges so I feel like they will be quite hardy and a good choice for a first snake, but I myself don't know much temperament and I got my first snake about 3.5 weeks ago myself so I am new to snake keeping as well.

Yes that's exactly what I'm hoping as well. For sure hope I feed him enough, I bet he has a really really long stomach.

Latest posts