• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My New Dolichothele diamantinensis & B. albos

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks to @Phil for sending me these beauts!

Dolichothele diamantinensis chilling and already webbed over the water dish I gave it lol

IMG_20190821_000336.jpg

Brachypelma albopilosum 1
Tried it with a pre-killed cricket

IMG_20190821_000509.jpg

Brachy albo 2
My 9 year old has claimed this one and has named it Frisk!

IMG_20190821_000638.jpg

Since taking these photos, I've given the edges of the blister pack water bowls a bit of a trim, because I realised they looked a bit rough!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Some updates on my terrific trio!

Brachy 1

Burrowed on its first night + enjoyed a mealworm last night.

IMG_20190821_015948~2.jpg

IMG_20190823_222223~2.jpg

Brachy 2 (Frisk)

Hasn't bothered burrowing and is as sweet as can be. I'll be adding an inch more substrate and a higher row of airholes and will do the same with both of them.

Here it is with it's mealworm:

IMG_20190823_222325~2.jpg

Dolichothele diamantinensis

Loves sitting out in the open but disappears down its burrow as soon as the lid is open, so I still don't have a good picture. This sling has also eaten and was rehoused tonight (with helpful advice from @Phil !). I've actually put it into an enclosure that is way too big really, but I'm going to see how it does. If it doesn't work out, I can downsize again.

I've got 3 fake leafy branches in there but probably will add a few more. I put a 2nd water dish on the other end of the enclosure too, just to make sure lol.

IMG_20190825_004922.jpg

My LP sling is doing well too and I'll be updating in the Lasiodora section soon.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some updates on my terrific trio!

Brachy 1

Burrowed on its first night + enjoyed a mealworm last night.

View attachment 40203

View attachment 40204

Brachy 2 (Frisk)

Hasn't bothered burrowing and is as sweet as can be. I'll be adding an inch more substrate and a higher row of airholes and will do the same with both of them.

Here it is with it's mealworm:

View attachment 40205

Dolichothele diamantinensis

Loves sitting out in the open but disappears down its burrow as soon as the lid is open, so I still don't have a good picture. This sling has also eaten and was rehoused tonight (with helpful advice from @Phil !). I've actually put it into an enclosure that is way too big really, but I'm going to see how it does. If it doesn't work out, I can downsize again.

I've got 3 fake leafy branches in there but probably will add a few more. I put a 2nd water dish on the other end of the enclosure too, just to make sure lol.

View attachment 40206

My LP sling is doing well too and I'll be updating in the Lasiodora section soon.
Glad the rehouse went without any incident. The diamentinensis was the ONLY escapee I had from the spider house....luckily, and as a certain Christmas song goes....the weather outside was frightful, and it made it's own way back in to the warmth of the spider house and I was able to recatch. It was then given the name Dufresne (Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption) in honour of its escape antics....ha ha

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Glad you didn't tell me that haha!! Seeing as I hadn't named it, and I love Stephen King's books, Dufresne it is then!!!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
To be honest, I got lucky on the rehouse. It decided to play dead while I was tickling it with the brush!! I gave up on that and started dismantling the webbing, at that point it ran to the back of the enclosure. I then pulled the whole webbing out, so it had nowhere left to hide. As I was picking up the brush, it trotted out straight into the new hide.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
To be honest, I got lucky on the rehouse. It decided to play dead while I was tickling it with the brush!! I gave up on that and started dismantling the webbing, at that point it ran to the back of the enclosure. I then pulled the whole webbing out, so it had nowhere left to hide. As I was picking up the brush, it trotted out straight into the new hide.
sounds relatively uneventful.....luckily ha ha

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah thank god lol. Though I had a brief moment of panic this morning when my kid shouted that it was in its hide and I thought she said it had died lol. Sure I need a hearing test :D

Bananahead

3 Year Member
Very beautiful Dolicotheles! I love them, they're gorgeous and a lot of fun. They don't pop up too often here in the US, at least from what I see. I raised one from a sling and he hooked into a MM, so I sent him off to make some sweet loving. I never did get an update on whether he was successful.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Very beautiful Dolicotheles! I love them, they're gorgeous and a lot of fun. They don't pop up too often here in the US, at least from what I see. I raised one from a sling and he hooked into a MM, so I sent him off to make some sweet loving. I never did get an update on whether he was successful.

Thanks so much. Cant believe you sent him off and the person didn't even bother to update you!!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks so much. Cant believe you sent him off and the person didn't even bother to update you!!
I can unfortunately, some people make promises about breeding loans and sling splits but decide to pocket any and all proceeds for themselves. Some people don't have a moral compass unfortunately. Daft thing is, once bitten, you will never trust them again so it ruins what could be a wonderful relationship.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Bit of an update. My D. diamantinensis was rehoused and completely sealed itself up in its hide. To my relief, a little head popped out earlier! Thanks to @Phil for the advice and reassurance, as we all doubt and second guess ourselves when we worry about not seeing our spiders, particularly newbies like me!

IMG_20190902_204547~2.jpg

One Brachy (Frisk) has had more substrate added to the enclosure and seems happy enough. The other, bigger one sealed itself into the burrow a couple days ago. Be great if it moults! In fact, I wouldn't be surprised as it's abdomen was looking huge, dark and shiny.

The LP is still tiny and doing its thing. When it moults I'll be estatic.

Really enjoyed keeping these four little guys. Can't wait to get more. I guess the more you have, the less you sweat the small stuff over each one!

Latest posts