• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My LP is not eating

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I have had my LP for just over 3 years and have never had a problem with her eating after a molt. It's been almost 4 weeks now but she refuses food. I've tried to coax her (Remember the airplane spoon?) but to no avail. Any ideas? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
How's her fangs post molt?
I'm assuming they're okay. I suppose I could stick my finger in there to find out but that would be like poking the bear (not a option). She's about 6" now and I'm sure that would sting pretty good. She moves around her enclosure as usual, just not eating. I'm stumped.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm impressed with the C64 tag line

What color are the fangs, light or dark, and are you sure your LP is a she? The behavior you describe, and size of your LP sound like a possible mature male...

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
In the past her fangs have always been dark so I have no reason to think otherwise now. When she/he eats a cricket I can see the fang color. Right now, I can't. Maybe I'm missing something here. Also, do females not move around or grow to be 6" at this stage? I know someone whose LP is now almost 8".

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In the past her fangs have always been dark so I have no reason to think otherwise now. When she/he eats a cricket I can see the fang color. Right now, I can't. Maybe I'm missing something here. Also, do females not move around or grow to be 6" at this stage? I know someone whose LP is now almost 8".

After a molt, the fangs are soft and light in color, like bone colored. They will not eat until their fangs "harden" which is when they become and stay dark. The older the T the longer it takes for the fangs to harden, sometimes as long as 2 weeks.

Females do move around and and female LPs can grow to 9" but males are usually smaller.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Check the previous molt for the sucking stomach, or it can just not be hungry.
Although I have heard of folks keeping {collecting?) past molts, I don't. In the past she/he normally eats like a horse so I dunno what's different this time. I hope she/he is just not hungry.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
After a molt, the fangs are soft and light in color, like bone colored. They will not eat until their fangs "harden" which is when they become and stay dark. The older the T the longer it takes for the fangs to harden, sometimes as long as 2 weeks.

Females do move around and and female LPs can grow to 9" but males are usually smaller.
Hopefully it's just a matter of taking longer than normal for the fangs to harden. It's just that in the past it's no more than 7-8 days b4 she will eat.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member

What color are the fangs, light or dark, and are you sure your LP is a she? The behavior you describe, and size of your LP sound like a possible mature male..
You mentioned that my LP may be a mature male. I only said she moves around the enclosure as usual and is about 6". You can tell from that?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You mentioned that my LP may be a mature male. I only said she moves around the enclosure as usual and is about 6". You can tell from that?

What color are the fangs, light or dark, and are you sure your LP is a she? The behavior you describe, and size of your LP sound like a possible mature male...
It's not what I said, it's how I said it.
I phrased it as a potential question based on the circumstances you described, which begets uncertainty. I can see that now.

Allow me to asked you, how do you know your LP is female?
We call boats 'she' but those are inanimate objects...

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I phrased it as a potential question based on the circumstances you described, which begets uncertainty. I can see that now.

"She" was given to me from a friend who said she was sexed as a female. I may be making too much of her not eating right now, but I'm just concerned bcuz this hasn't happened after previous molts; she's always eaten after about a week. I guess I'm just waiting for someone who knows to tell me not to worry about it.

One more thing: About a week or so ago I cleaned out her enclosure and made a slight decorating modification to it, unlike in the past. Could she be that fussy where it upset the apple cart in regards to her appetite? If so, I can undo it. Thanx for your help.

goldenpumpkin

Thanx. I realize T's can go w/o food for extended periods, this situation is a first for me and has me concerned. I'll keep ya posted.

I feel your pain, to an extent. I'm newer to this though (I've only had mine for <2 weeks) so I'm sure it hits very differently when you haven't had this problem with your T for >3 years! The question I still have in regards to fasting is: how long is TOO long? Also, I too received a "cOnFiRmEd FeMalE" tarantula that had VERY noticeable bulbs and hooks lol, so it never hurts to double or triple check!

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
This is a hobby of patience. There are rarely tarantula emergencies.

When in doubt, wait it out.

Keep us posted!
After about four weeks, my Esmeralda is finally eating. I tossed in a big fat juicy cricket that she gobbled up faster than you can say Rumpelstiltskin. Had me concerned there for a while.

which

prince charmless

I've called my boat less flattering things than "she"

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
After about four weeks, my Esmeralda is finally eating. I tossed in a big fat juicy cricket that she gobbled up faster than you can say Rumpelstiltskin. Had me concerned there for a while.

which
I am glad she is eating now… and I could not say that fast anyway. LOL ;)

JACEY

Trying superworms. My two Curlys refused them at next offer. My Avic refused them also. They can be choicy. Imagine lol brought Dubias home, it was on. Lol ❤ yeah when they eat well.

Latest posts