• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Juvenile Brachi. Smithy Hasn't Fed In Ages

MervJLast

3 Year Member
Hi All,

I did mention this issue in another thread, but thought I would post specific question the most appropriate forum - this one!!

So my juvenile brachia. smith which i have had for a while now, just doesn't want to feed at all. He/she fed once or twice on small mealworms when I first got him/her, but since then nothing, just sat constantly in its hide barely moving at all. I did get some helpful advice from a member of this site , (Martin), re the hide but I could still do with some info re the feeding please?

Merv.

tcrave

3 Year Member
sounds like he/she is in pre molt. some times pre molt can take months. just keep water available. and try trowing in a crushed cricket just in case, if left alone the following day just take it out. and try adding another one two or three days later. when they are in pre molt they need all there energy to molt thats why they don't feed or move much. another reason for not eating or moving much is temp and humidity.

whats the temp you keep him/her at?

MervJLast

3 Year Member
sounds like he/she is in pre molt. some times pre molt can take months. just keep water available. and try trowing in a crushed cricket just in case, if left alone the following day just take it out. and try adding another one two or three days later. when they are in pre molt they need all there energy to molt thats why they don't feed or move much. another reason for not eating or moving much is temp and humidity.

whats the temp you keep him/her at?
Thanks for the advice, well I know these species like very little humidity, so it's only about 40-50% in her enclosure and the temp sits around a constant 20-23 Celsius.

tcrave

3 Year Member
bump up the temp the smithi is from mexico so the temps there are warm. around 75 to 80 degrees

MervJLast

3 Year Member
Will do - have stuck a heat mat on the back on the enclosure on the outside at one end , so that should warm things up.
Thanks.

Latest posts