• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cavity

IMG_1844.JPG
IMG_1846.JPG
IMG_1847.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG
IMG_1852.JPG
IMG_1853.JPG
IMG_1854.JPG
image.jpg
IMG_1358.JPG
I got my first tarantula, a pink toe, last month and wanted to know if I was doing okay and if theres anything I could improve on.

Q:She/he is around 2in in size right now. Can anyone guess how old it would be?
Q: How many crickets should I give it and should it be weekly? Currently im giving it 4-5 crickets a week, some days it will eat 2+ and some days it wont eat at all.
Q: Is my terrarium okay for her size or should I get a larger tank?
Q: Which live plants would you recommend if I were to plant some

I want to provide the best living area for my t, so all advise is welcomed. Thank you

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Your terrarium looks great. I'd replace the screen top with acrylic, competely covered in vent holes. They need good ventillation and a large waterdish for humidity. The hygrometer wont give you an accurate reading, I'd toss it. No spraying except maybe occasionally. You want clean fresh air and dry sub, (moisten occasionally if you want, I never did.) They need good airflow, cover and climbing and webbing points, and a large fresh water dish. which you have, except those dishes are too small and porous, they leak into your sub and empty themselves over time. I've read too many threads about arborials getting their claws caught in fine mesh too endorse those tops. Never, ever keep an Avic in a wet, or even too moist, enclosure, it will kill it. That goes for any supposedly "tropical" species. Hope this helped :)

Cavity

Your terrarium looks great. I'd replace the screen top with acrylic, competely covered in vent holes. They need good ventillation and a large waterdish for humidity. The hygrometer wont give you an accurate reading, I'd toss it. No spraying except maybe occasionally. You want clean fresh air and dry sub, (moisten occasionally if you want, I never did.) They need good airflow, cover and climbing and webbing points, and a large fresh water dish. which you have, except those dishes are too small and porous, they leak into your sub and empty themselves over time. I've read too many threads about arborials getting their claws caught in fine mesh too endorse those tops. Never, ever keep an Avic in a wet, or even too moist, enclosure, it will kill it. That goes for any supposedly "tropical" species. Hope this helped :)
Thank you, this was really helpful, glad to hear im giving it a good home! I will make sure to have a terrarium without mesh when I rehome after it molts

Logan D

3 Year Member
I would try feeding her meal worms or Dubia Roaches they have more nutritional value than crickets hands down. For plants i use golden pothos or really any pothos work

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
For a 2" spider, I would only put in one cricket at a time. I'd feed twice a week. If it doesn't grab the cricket pretty soon after you introduce it and the opportunity presents itself, I'd remove the cricket.

Crickets will chew on your spider and during molting time, the crickets could kill your spider. Feeding one at a time and keeping track of each and every one will prevent this problem. If there are some extras hiding in there, your spider will be in danger when it molts.

Cavity

I would try feeding her meal worms or Dubia Roaches they have more nutritional value than crickets hands down. For plants i use golden pothos or really any pothos work
Cool, thank you! Ive been feeding my crickets pretty well in hopes the nutrition of that goes to my t in the end but I will look into the dubia roaches!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cool, thank you! Ive been feeding my crickets pretty well in hopes the nutrition of that goes to my t in the end but I will look into the dubia roaches!
Some spiders dont care for dubia, but they'll eat them if they're hungry enough. I like having lateralis as an alternative, they're equal to dubias in my eyes, and its very simple to keep both. I like dubias for larger animals, and lats for the little ones. Red runners is the common name. Either are better than crickets.

Latest posts