• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My First DIY Acrylic Tarantula Enclosure

Alfonso Faustino

Hi, all.

I am new to this activity; and, recently, as of 18-December-2019, @ 1307 Hours PST, I purchased my first tarantula: Brachypelma Hamorii: spiderling: DLS 1.75" with slight bend to both legs: ~2-2.5 years old.

I spent ~4 months researching tarantulas; and, once I committed to purchasing one, I began the design, engineering, build, and landscape for a male juvenile Brachypelma Hamorii.

Many thanks to Petko: The Dark Den.

My enclosure:
- 14" sq. (14" x 14" x 14")
- secured with velcro fasteners
- substrate is 50% coco fibre and 50% organic unfertilized nor chemically treated potting soil
- Sphagnum Moss is used as garnishes and distilled water stations
- substrate is ~7" deep
- 10" cork-bark-tunnel: rear submerged into the substrate (The angle-of-attack fo the 10" cork-bark tunnel is ~45 dedgree-pitch from the floor of the enclosure.)
- cork-bark wall: hot-glued to the back panel of the enclosure added for visual appeal, as well as a climbing wall in case Arogog wants the work-out -- his fall is cushioned my the substrate
- ventilation: cross and circulation
- front-panel door (I don't like coming down from above on Arogog -- I learned this from my green iguanas and Australian Bearded Dragons.)

Ha -- I put a lot of build-time, travel-time, landscaping into this enclosure...only to find out my purchase was going to be a male Brachypelm Hamorri spiderling -- not the >= 2.5" DLS male juvenile Brachypelma Hamorii, for whom, I designed, landscaped, and built the enclosure.

So, I built Arogog a smaller enclosure made of plastic. It's a container I purchased for 97-cents at Diaso. It a common container used to store sugar, cinnamon sticks -- you get the idea.

Now, Arogog's smaller enclosure sits in the big enclosure -- I can't wait til he gets big enough to move out of the small enclosure and into the big one.

Funny the way things work out -- yes?

Check 6!
/s/ Alfonso Faustino

Attachments

• Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_1.jpeg
    Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 133
  • Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_4.jpeg
    Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
  • Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_5.jpeg
    Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 116
  • Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_7.jpeg
    Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_7.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 131
  • Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_9.jpeg
    Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_9.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 129

Foxspider

Looks fantastic. I love that style. Did you order it precut or do the cuts yourself. I’m working on doing some of my own enclosures for some of my slings right now. Was my Christmas present to my Ts. LOL

Attachments

• 154345E0-8929-4315-B0F3-D49DB02F97CE.jpeg
    154345E0-8929-4315-B0F3-D49DB02F97CE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 49

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So, I built Arogog a smaller enclosure made of plastic. It's a container I purchased for 97-cents at Diaso. It a common container used to store sugar, cinnamon sticks -- you get the idea.

Several of my smaller enclosures come from our poundland. They make great starter enclosures.

Foxspider. I am waiting for Dremel to bring out a hammer attachment.
I use a sanding wheel on my multi tool on my dogs claws, it is a great way of gently reducing their claws without the risk of accidentally over doing it & without stressing them out. My Bassett hates me clipping her claws, but I can sand 2 paws worth of claws down with ease.

Last edited:

Alfonso Faustino

Looks fantastic. I love that style. Did you order it precut or do the cuts yourself. I’m working on doing some of my own enclosures for some of my slings right now. Was my Christmas present to my Ts. LOL
Hi, @Foxspider.
I used the Dremel to file down my Retired Racing Greyhound's nails, too. The Dremel tool is one of my most used tool these days; and, I used it in the construction of my big enclosure.

I had the panels cut to my measurement. I don't have a table-saw; so, I would not be able to get an accurate cut. I went to TAP Plastics to get it done. With the smaller enclosures, I used my Dremel tool.

Please send me pics of your final enclosures after you build them; I'm know your Ts would love them. Hey, I just noticed you're a new member, too. That's great! Have a great evening!

/s/ Alfonso

Alfonso Faustino

Several of my smaller enclosures come from our poundland. They make great starter enclosures.

@m0lsx that's great -- please send me some pics if you can.

Foxspider. I am waiting for Dremel to bring out a hammer attachment.
I use a sanding wheel on my multi tool on my dogs claws, it is a great way of gently reducing their claws without the risk of accidentally over doing it & without stressing them out. My Bassett hates me clipping her claws, but I can sand 2 paws worth of claws down with ease.

@Foxspider I'm sure your Bassett appreciates it -- I find using the Dremel so much better than using clippers.

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Hi, all.

I am new to this activity; and, recently, as of 18-December-2019, @ 1307 Hours PST, I purchased my first tarantula: Brachypelma Hamorii: spiderling: DLS 1.75" with slight bend to both legs: ~2-2.5 years old.

I spent ~4 months researching tarantulas; and, once I committed to purchasing one, I began the design, engineering, build, and landscape for a male juvenile Brachypelma Hamorii.

My enclosure:
- substrate is 50% coco fibre and 50% organic unfertilized nor chemically treated potting soil
- substrate is ~7" deep
- 10" cork-bark-tunnel: rear submerged into the substrate (The angle-of-attack fo the 10" cork-bark tunnel is ~45 dedgree-pitch from the floor of the enclosure.)
- cork-bark wall: hot-glued to the back panel of the enclosure added for visual appeal, as well as a climbing wall in case Arogog wants the work-out -- his fall is cushioned my the substrate
- front-panel door (I don't like coming down from above on Arogog -- I learned this from my green iguanas and Australian Bearded Dragons.)

Ha -- I put a lot of build-time, travel-time, landscaping into this enclosure...only to find out my purchase was going to be a male Brachypelm Hamorri spiderling -- not the >= 2.5" DLS male juvenile Brachypelma Hamorii, for whom, I designed, landscaped, and built the enclosure.

Now, Arogog's smaller enclosure sits in the big enclosure -- I can't wait til he gets big enough to move out of the small enclosure and into the big one.

Check 6!
/s/ Alfonso Faustino
For being new to the hobby, you have obviously done your research and your enclosure looks great! Any plans on getting more ts yet?

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi, all.

My enclosure:
- substrate is ~7" deep

Check 6!
/s/ Alfonso Faustino
Hi
Nice build.Do you mind sharing the plans with the measurements and rest if U have them available ?
It seems u have a perfect enclosure ready for another bigger T.I went from one to 5 in few weeks and already planing space for more.Warning.The hobby is very addictive.lol U can build new enclosure for him when he grows a bit.It may be a while as Brachypelma are very slow growers.
Regards Konstantin

Alfonso Faustino

For being new to the hobby, you have obviously done your research and your enclosure looks great! Any plans on getting more ts yet?
Hi, @FishermanSteve. Thank you for your kind comment. The Homoeomma Chilensis seems to strike my fancy; however, Arogog seems to keep my mind occupied in that I can't wait until he starts showing adult size and color. What are your thoughts?

Alfonso Faustino

Hi
Nice build.Do you mind sharing the plans with the measurements and rest if U have them available ?
It seems u have a perfect enclosure ready for another bigger T.I went from one to 5 in few weeks and already planing space for more.Warning.The hobby is very addictive.lol U can build new enclosure for him when he grows a bit.It may be a while as Brachypelma are very slow growers.
Regards Konstantin
Hi, @Konstantin. Thank you for your kind comment. I can write out and draw the design plans for you. I built it with the designs and visions in my mind; I can definitely draft a design doc for you.

Yes, you are correct...the Brachypelma Hamorii is definitely a slow-growth animal; so, as I mentioned to @Konstantin, I was thinking of the male adult Homoeomma Chilensis -- what do you think?

Yes, you are so correct -- I, do, find it addicting -- each time I go to a store, I'm thinking about turning normal products into tarantula products; and, I'm find myself viewing the forum for tarantulas for sale...so odd...I never thought these animals can be so endearing and have unique and appealing personalities. I, recently, observed Arogog arranging his Sphagnum Moss to provide a nice bedding -- he was up at 0315 hours this morning arranging his enclosure...such a funny guy!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was thinking of the male adult Homoeomma Chilensis.

The chances of finding even a juvenile H chilensis is very slim. They are VERY slow growing & even as slings not cheap. I have 2 slings I brought back in about June & neither has grown any in that time.

But as they grow chilensis make the most amazing T's to keep.

Alfonso Faustino

The chances of finding even a juvenile H chilensis is very slim. They are VERY slow growing & even as slings not cheap. I have 2 slings I brought back in about June & neither has grown any in that time.

But as they grow chilensis make the most amazing T's to keep.
@m0lsx understood. Well, since I'm in no immediate rush, I figure I by the time Arogog gets to be >= to 3", I figure the Homoemma Chilensis, hopefully, the juevenile and adult males and females, will be more common and more available for purchase. I'm speculating within the next two years, if I'm still alive, I might be able to purchase an adult male or female Homoemma Chilensis -- also, there might be another tarantula species that might strike my fancy by then. Who knows?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Without ruining your dreams the chance of finding any grown on chilensis is highly highly unlikely.
Very slow growing but the sooner you get one the sooner you’ll have a juvenile. Would recommend getting more than 1 sling just incase but you’ll be rewarded for your patience.

Alfonso Faustino

Without ruining your dreams the chance of finding any grown on chilensis is highly highly unlikely.
Very slow growing but the sooner you get one the sooner you’ll have a juvenile. Would recommend getting more than 1 sling just incase but you’ll be rewarded for your patience.
Hi, @Rs50matt thanks for the tip. I'm gonna hit the Reptile Show in Anaheim, CA, on 4-January-2020. The coordinator mentioned at least 6 tarantula vendors will be present. If I come across the slings, I will make my purchase for two of them per your recommendation.

Jim_in_PA

Hi, all.

My enclosure:
- substrate is ~7" deep

Check 6!
/s/ Alfonso Faustino

Damn, he's fat as hell. I would stop feeding and wait for a molt.

DOS1392

Did you ever post your design? As if you did i cant find it. I would also be interested in seeing it just so i could try and build one :)

Latest posts