• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My cyaneopubescens chromatopelma mature male will not mate

Lukerobbo

Hello all

I'm new to this so sorry if I made some mistakes on post.

Anyway I am currently pairing my chromatopelma cyaneopubescens together, amazingly my female is being soo placid however, my male is acting strange he has made a sperm web multiple times, the humidity and all that is correct and hes looking for a female to pair with. Now when hes has wandered into the females house (without any human interaction) he goes through his routine and then starts drumming, they both communicate with each other which lasts for around 3 hours and then the male will make his move towards her they start to touch until he panics and bolts away, I've paired them 9 times now and the closest the male has gotten is when he went underneath her for a second or 2 and then bolted, he didn't even begin transferring sperm just went under then got off.

Could there be something wrong with the male? Hes definitely a good size for her and I've witnessed way smaller than him successfully pair and the female is around 11 years old fully grown I reckon, she molted 4 months ago and the molt before that was 3 and a bit years ago and this will be her first pairing ( when the Male straps on a pair that is)

Anyone else having this issue or knows about this? Cheers.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Alrighty then cheers for the advice ile keep at it and let u know and yh I only give them a spray so they have a drink as GBB do they just web over the bowl and annoys me having to ruin their lovely home to clean it and re fill anyway thanks again.
Pro tip: a second water dish lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello all

I'm new to this so sorry if I made some mistakes on post.

Anyway I am currently pairing my chromatopelma cyaneopubescens together, amazingly my female is being soo placid however, my male is acting strange he has made a sperm web multiple times, the humidity and all that is correct and hes looking for a female to pair with. Now when hes has wandered into the females house (without any human interaction) he goes through his routine and then starts drumming, they both communicate with each other which lasts for around 3 hours and then the male will make his move towards her they start to touch until he panics and bolts away, I've paired them 9 times now and the closest the male has gotten is when he went underneath her for a second or 2 and then bolted, he didn't even begin transferring sperm just went under then got off.

Could there be something wrong with the male? Hes definitely a good size for her and I've witnessed way smaller than him successfully pair and the female is around 11 years old fully grown I reckon, she molted 4 months ago and the molt before that was 3 and a bit years ago and this will be her first pairing ( when the Male straps on a pair that is)

Anyone else having this issue or knows about this? Cheers.
exactly what @Arachnoclown has stated. Consider it as really long foreplay. The urge will take over and he will eventually pair with her. Keep her well fed and keep the conditions dry but make sure the male has plenty of water as mature males dehydrate really quickly.....especially if he is making all that sperm. Its thirsty work ;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Have you conditioned the females environment prior to introducing the male? This is relevant because if the environment hasn't been simulated, she may not be ready or want to mate with him. I'm no expert but I believe males can sense this.

Lukerobbo

No the female is definitely ready, she's quite dramatic with the drumming which is what I think is freaking out the male, just finished another attempt and same again however it seems we're going backwards, he walked in and the female responds immediately, he did go dangerously close to her but he was on top of the log and luckily the female just started drumming before him. But unfortunately soon as he touched her, he bolted 10th time now.

I know I was up for a challenge attempting to pair this species but most videos I watched was just the female attempting to eat male, I've not seen this kind of thing with males especially with my other MM tarantulas

Lukerobbo

Well after a few more attempts we finally got somewhere,male went under female 12 times but there wasn't really any action tbh I saw him reaching to reach the flap but was only using one and wasn't rubbing like they normally do so I'm at a loss with it I don't think it was successful and amazingly female just walked away from him when she had enough. I'm guessing if there was no successful insertion I can just put them back together after hes destroyed another sperm web? Cheers.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well after a few more attempts we finally got somewhere,male went under female 12 times but there wasn't really any action tbh I saw him reaching to reach the flap but was only using one and wasn't rubbing like they normally do so I'm at a loss with it I don't think it was successful and amazingly female just walked away from him when she had enough. I'm guessing if there was no successful insertion I can just put them back together after hes destroyed another sperm web? Cheers.

Yes, you should try, try again! :) (After he completes another sperm web)

Latest posts