• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Avicularia Avicularia ... Why does it seem to look thinner?

Erika75

Hi y'all .... Gooooood morning :) I am feeling a bit worried with my avic ... I been feeding it probably I'd say at least 2x a week about every 3-4 days... Well this past Saturday I spot cleaned in it's home and it stayed on the back wall in the top left corner... Thought it was stressed some from me cleaning substrate putting new in but didn't clean clean the home... Anyways to me why does it's legs seem to look skinnier than before? I offered it a cricket and it LOVES crickets yesterday morning which would have been 4 days since it had ate last.. Refused it right away legs up and even turned around lol But today it is back on the glass side it favors the most with web where it's lated... I've also had this T since February of this year and has NOT ever made a tunnel or a hammock just web on the plants and glass... Weird??? Idk? But maybe y'all think getting ready to molt? Like I said it eats great!!!! That's why I am thinking maybe going to molt? Could someone assure me a lil bit please? Just worried bc if there is something I can do to help or maybe offer a different kind of food to fatten up? But I live out of Cincinnati Ohio and crickets aren't HUGE but I guess ok in size...

Erika75

Hi some pictures of your T and it's enclosure may help us all to help you :)
It did eat for me this morning when I offered the cricket.. what it is I think is before my husband rescued it from a pet store I think it has lost 1 of it's legs and has came back in a molt. It is it's right leg our left ..

Attachments

• 20200818_113006.jpg
    20200818_113006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • 20200711_170932.jpg
    20200711_170932.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 20200621_232007.jpg
    20200621_232007.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45

Erika75

It's a BEAUTIFUL spooder & I fell in love with it! I just always want it to be happy & wish it would molt for me.. I also wish I knew about how old it is!? Lol

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Not easy to say... she don’t look too old. Sorry, I know that is not helping you.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi from what I can see it looks fine - the abdomen is what we'd worry about if it looks small but it looks OK in the pics - if it's eating and drinking I can see no cause for concern some web more than others but you may benefit from additional cork bark in its enclosure as some like to use that but overall your enclosure looks pretty good :)
Hopefully it will moult for you soon but otherwise I can't see anything wrong with your T :)

Erika75

Hi from what I can see it looks fine - the abdomen is what we'd worry about if it looks small but it looks OK in the pics - if it's eating and drinking I can see no cause for concern some web more than others but you may benefit from additional cork bark in its enclosure as some like to use that but overall your enclosure looks pretty good :)
Hopefully it will moult for you soon but otherwise I can't see anything wrong with your T :)
Thank you soooo much yeah I catch it drinking all the time lol and it did eat this morning when I offered it a cricket.. was kinda snatchy lol But I adore it! Idk if it's a male or female lol and don't know about how old it is lol I'm thinking a few years old? My husband rescued it from a pet store and was a surprise as it is my 1st T ... I would read and watch video after video and research about tarantulas for a long time... Thanks again

Erika75

Maybe leave the plants in on the left side of it's home and put cork bark? Or take plants out then put some cork bark? I know if there's more it's good in their homes...

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Maybe leave the plants in on the left side of it's home and put cork bark? Or take plants out then put some cork bark? I know if there's more it's good in their homes...
I'd leave what you already have there and just add to it if you can.. It may encourage it to web move if it feels more secure :) - good luck with your T, any other questions ask away :)

Latest posts