• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moon/Halloween Crabs

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am thinking about starting a set up for these guys. So, I am thinking a communal set up in a 20 gallon tank with about 4-5 inches of sand topped with an inch or two of peat, with several half logs and such for hides and climbs. About a third of the tank would be a plastic lagoon deep enough to completely submerge a crab, but sloped enough they can easily climb out. Sound ok?

A few questions for those who have kept these guys:

1. What would be the best heat source?
2. I have read varying ideas on calcium. Is treating foods with calcium supplement enough, or should I offer cuttlebone?
3. Same on salt water treatment. Should I do it or not? Lagoon should be fresh or salt? Or a seperate salt water source?

Am I forgetting anything?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've always done well keeping em at 75-80* on EcoEarth, with a large bowl of fresh water, and a Sepia Bone..

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hmmm...sounds much less complicated that other set ups I have read about...

What kind of heat source did you use?

Any special light requirements?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I always use a basic heat mat. on the side of the bin. As a general rule I don't put any lighting on Inverts.

Latest posts