• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mold problem URGENT, new avic tank ideas

Spidro

3 Year Member
Alright everyone so i have a guyana pink toe avic-avic whos current home now has some mold growing in it. I have her in a Large critter keeper i believe theyre called and so far i do believe shes actually enjoyed it. Anyways obviously im not happy with the ventalation, want to make a new tank for her which ive been putting aside for other things and now i suppose is the time to do it. I had 2 ideas, looking for suggestions and ur setups maybe pictures if its not too inconvienant. Seen wide success with the upside down enclosures, so was thinking of making some kind of base in plexglass, which would contain the holes for ventalation, and setting a vase of some sort on top of that. Issue there is if i do get the vase in glass i wont have the ability to drill into the glass for ventalation above. Other option was to piece together some plexi-glass and glass to make a tall standing rectangular tank of some kind, where i could just drill into the plexiglass for ventalation where i need to. Thoughts ideas suggestions? I realize i go on and on in my posts, i appologize lol. However your time and comments are much appreciated! Cheers! \m/

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
If its not an issue of looks,you could get a plastic jar and just make it an upside down one like all the ones I use. Please see below

uploadfromtaptalk1398416062318.jpg

Spidro

3 Year Member
Hey martin glad u posted, i have loved ur setups but think i might have a hard time feeding her crickets, feel like they would jump off the lid b4 i got the base back on lol. Unfortunately thats all i have available for feeders in my area. What is it u do?

Love the website hungry ghost, unfortunately it doesnt look like they ship to canada, because i love that enclosure as well haha. Thanks guys.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey martin glad u posted, i have loved ur setups but think i might have a hard time feeding her crickets, feel like they would jump off the lid b4 i got the base back on lol. Unfortunately thats all i have available for feeders in my area. What is it u do?

Love the website hungry ghost, unfortunately it doesnt look like they ship to canada, because i love that enclosure as well haha. Thanks guys.

Hello
I just turn the bottom off which is the lid,the I take the to which was the bottom turn it over drop in a cricket she will either take it or leave it. If they have webbing,I insert the feeder inside the web or web tunnel.

Spidro

3 Year Member
Ahh theres an idea, pretty no brainer actually, suppose ts dont even realize ya flipping it upside down lol. Well i think im going to go this route for sure, judt need to find a jar, or maybe even a tall tupperware container of some sort, just very impressed with how the webbing turns out in these. Will let ya know how things r going and if i need any more ideas. Awesome, cheers \m/

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ahh theres an idea, pretty no brainer actually, suppose ts dont even realize ya flipping it upside down lol. Well i think im going to go this route for sure, judt need to find a jar, or maybe even a tall tupperware container of some sort, just very impressed with how the webbing turns out in these. Will let ya know how things r going and if i need any more ideas. Awesome, cheers \m/

Its a pleasure !

Spidro

3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1398467673642.jpg
well there she is, in her cleaned home, shes roaming around it now. Im ashamed her old tank was just mud. Got a smaller water dish because somehow my other one was just way too big and getting dumped all the time so im hoping thisll fix my issue until i can find an enclosure more fit for an avic. Best i could come up with for now was a peanut butter jar so i just thought id go this way for now until i can make something superb. Cheers! No more mold!

katiekatelyn

3 Year Member
^^ that's what I have my a.avic in, except I tilted it on its side lengthwise, so the door that's on top is now on the side. There is plenty of ventilation with the kritter keeper and I've never had a problem with mold. My p.metallica is also in one. I use sphagnum moss because it retains moisture awesomely and doesn't rot or mold. It's pricey but you end up using it longer than substrate, buying it less frequently.

Latest posts