• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

mites

Eddy

Hi there I have recently noticed I have mites in my B vagans terrarium. I have read that I should clean the terrarium but my spider is going Through its first molt. I am looking for some advice please.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi there I have recently noticed I have mites in my B vagans terrarium. I have read that I should clean the terrarium but my spider is going Through its first molt. I am looking for some advice please.
Are you sure they are mites and not springtails? If it is a bad infestation of mites you will need clean your enclosure and use fresh substrate..
If they are springtails they are harmless to your T and are beneficial to there enclosure.. Although it's a B. Vagans so it's substrate should be dry as that's what is best for them..
A picture of the enclosure may be of help? :)

Eddy

Are you sure they are mites and not springtails? If it is a bad infestation of mites you will need clean your enclosure and use fresh substrate..
If they are springtails they are harmless to your T and are beneficial to there enclosure.. Although it's a B. Vagans so it's substrate should be dry as that's what is best for them..

I'm not sure what they are. Little white insects normally in the water bowl. They look like they jump about. They must have come from the substrate. This is a photo of the terrarium
Show quoted text

I was told to keep a corner of the enclosure damp as it is a sling
Show quoted text

Attachments

• 20200206_231835.jpg
    20200206_231835.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 20200116_103627.jpg
    20200116_103627.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not sure what they are. Little white insects normally in the water bowl. They look like they jump about. They must have come from the substrate. This is a photo of the terrarium
Show quoted text

I was told to keep a corner of the enclosure damp as it is a sling
Show quoted text
Sounds like springtails to me... If it were me I would move the water dish to another corner and let the damp corner dry out a bit.. This in itself will cut down on the springtails as they will die off as the substrate drys out.. They are harmless to your T :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most mites are beneficial. No reason to worry about dirt mites until after your T molts. If they're in the water bowl they are probably springtails. Neither are a reason to panic...neither will ever go away. They always will come back but you can control the number as @ilovebrachys mentioned with the moving of the water dish. Personally I would leave them be...they are cleaning your spiders enclosure.

Latest posts