• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mites or Springtails??

New2T’s

3 Year Member
Just noticed teeny, tiny, white bugs in my B. Lateralis(red runner) container. I need to mention that a few months ago. I ordered 200 superworms and set them up in an enclosure. When they were gone I ordered 100 more. Then I noticed bunch small white bugs. I started freaking out. I messaged my friend to see what he thought. He’s a T keeper/breeder. He thought they might be springtails. I cleaned out container really good.

And now here we are again. I don’t see them in my Dubia container. I’m totally freaking out again bc I’m so afraid they’re mites. My phone IPhone isn’t the best with pics. I’ve attached the best pic I could get. TIA for your help.

2712D0EA-199D-4D7A-B9DD-C41844FD38C3.jpeg

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Also springtails need moist environment to stay alive.
I have grain mites with my feeders sometimes.
Clean the tub with hot water regularly when noticeable high numbers .New egg crates and feed so food is gone quickly(overnight)to keep them under control. They are harmless both for the feeders and your tarantula and usually find their way in anyway.
Regards Konstantin

New2T’s

3 Year Member
Also springtails need moist environment to stay alive.
I have grain mites with my feeders sometimes.
Clean the tub with hot water regularly when noticeable high numbers .New egg crates and feed so food is gone quickly(overnight)to keep them under control. They are harmless both for the feeders and your tarantula and usually find their way in anyway.
Regards Konstantin
Thanks Konstantin. I had feeling it was mites. It’s weird bc they’re all piled up at top of container by the ventilation holes. They’re even crawling around all over outside of container.

Latest posts