• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meet Heishi

MissKitty

Finally got my "dream" T. A wonderful A. Avicularia. Don't know sex yet. I am as excited as a dog in a room full of fire hydrants!

Attachments

• 0710191429~3.jpg
    0710191429~3.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 0710191457.jpg
    0710191457.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 26

nedaK

I have screen as well and never had an issue.
My skeleton has nearly killed itself with a screen top. I saw it dangling with one leg. I taped a paper towel with holes in it underneath the screen so it couldn’t get stuck again.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
An arboreal spider will never get stuck on that screen top. This screen pattern is huge. 38 years and I've never had a tarantula stuck on a screen top. Most of the videos and photos I've seen in the past the spiders were stuck in the tight screen pattern. (All could have used more substrate or proper enclosure size to avoid this.) Terrestrial spiders are fine with screen tops if they can still touch the ground. I have all my terrestrial Ts with screen tops set up to still touch the ground. We all need to realize that some of these "dont dos" in the hobby are out dated now. These manufacturers make better products now.
20190120_084639.jpg

Btw hes not stuck...he was on the screen 24-7 looking for ladies.:p

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
An arboreal spider will never get stuck on that screen top. This screen pattern is huge. 38 years and I've never had a tarantula stuck on a screen top. Most of the videos and photos I've seen in the past the spiders were stuck in the tight screen pattern. (All could have used more substrate or proper enclosure size to avoid this.) Terrestrial spiders are fine with screen tops if they can still touch the ground. I have all my terrestrial Ts with screen tops set up to still touch the ground. We all need to realize that some of these "dont dos" in the hobby are out dated now. These manufacturers make better products now.
View attachment 39148
Btw hes not stuck...he was on the screen 24-7 looking for ladies.:p

Interesting. Especially the caveats you give to avoid possible claw entrapment. Makes sense.

It's certainly drilled into everyone nowadays to replace mesh screens with acrylic modified with drilled vent holes. Entrapment is given as 1 reason. The other reason I hear a lot, is that T's can chew through the mesh and escape.

However, when I watch videos by YouTubers who have kept T's for years, they often have a couple of Exoterra enclosures that still have the mesh top. And I've always wondered why they haven't switched to acyrlic. Your post does shed light on that for me, so cheers!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
These are the only screens I've seen personally over the years that are a problem. Poecilotheria ornata decided he didnt like his acrylic enclosure anymore. Found him sitting on the outside of it. Juvenile 4" male.
20180325_094045.jpg
I straightened it out a little before realizing I should take a photo first...

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
These are the only screens I've seen personally over the years that are a problem. Poecilotheria ornata decided he didnt like his acrylic enclosure anymore. Found him sitting on the outside of it. Juvenile 4" male.View attachment 39246I straightened it out a little before realizing I should take a photo first...

Good grief, looks like someone shot at it!!

Latest posts