• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworms

darttak

Hello. Sooo my p.sazimai sling doesn't eat since I got him. He just walks in his cup and hides when he is disturbed. 4 days have passed. Someone told me they eat pretty often to grow. Problem is seller didn't tell me when was the last mold or how often they do it. Just that it molt 4 time. Should I try something besides mealworms and mealworm bugs?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm assuming you feed it mealworm pieces? You can also feed your sling prekilled crickets or cricket drumsticks (back legs), mealworms are among the best feeders. When feeding slings, I like to offer them the head of the worm.

darttak

I'm assuming you feed it mealworm pieces? You can also feed your sling prekilled crickets or cricket drumsticks (back legs), mealworms are among the best feeders. When feeding slings, I like to offer them the head of the worm.
First I tried feeding it mealworm bug after I crushed it's head. Then tried mealworm after crushing it's head. Nothing

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
First I tried feeding it mealworm bug after I crushed it's head. Then tried mealworm after crushing it's head. Nothing
Slings like to scavenge, I usually give my slings about 24 hours. I have two slings that are very picky eaters (H. orellanai), and that is usually how I get them to eat.

Nunua

3 Year Member
It can take several days for tarantula to settle down in a new environment, during that time they may refuse food or be more skittish and secretive. Four days is a short time - Patience is the key with tarantulas.

How big is the sling? It could be full (or even fat) and won't eat before the next molt - For example my tiny Bracypelma auratum refused food for over 55 days. For most of the time they need just fresh water and peace - Leave a pre killed mealworm (or piece of it, depending on the size of the sling) for 24 hours. If the sling hasn't eaten, it's not hungry and you may try again after a week.

Tarantulas won't starve themselves and they don't need food as often as more common pets.

And what do you mean by "mealworm bugs"? Adult mealworm beetles? Tarantulas usually don't eat them at all because they release defensive chemicals and have a very hard chitin shell.

Last edited:

darttak

It can take several days for tarantula to settle down in a new environment, during that time they may refuse food or be more skittish and secretive. Four days is a short time - Patience is the key with tarantulas.

How big is the sling? It could be full (or even fat) and won't eat before the next molt - For example my tiny Bracypelma auratum refused food for over 55 days. For most of the time they need just fresh water and peace - Leave a pre killed mealworm (or piece of it, depending on the size of the sling) for 24 hours. If the sling hasn't eaten, it's not hungry and you may try again after a week.

Tarantulas won't starve themselves and they don't need food as often as more common pets.

And what do you mean by "mealworm bugs"? Adult mealworm beetles? Tarantulas usually don't eat them at all because they release defensive chemicals and have a very hard chitin shell.
Yes, sorry. My english is not the best. beetles, mealworm beetles. Didnt know they dont eat those. Guy who sold me the spider just said to feed them with beetles. Spider is aprox. 1.3 cm body length. And thx for reply

Nunua

3 Year Member
No need to apologize for not having top notch English skills :) The more you use it, the better it gets. Your message was totally understandable - I just wanted to make sure you were talking about the beetles and not anything else.
And yeah, not everyone knows that tarantulas won't eat the beetles. That's also the reason why mealworms are often kept in a fridge - staying in cold will slow down their growth so they won't mature into beetles as fast.

Since your sling is still small, it'll be best to offer just a piece of mealworm instead of the whole one. But truly, no need to worry for your sling not eating. If you keep offering it a meal once a week or once in two weeks, you'll see if it's hungry or just waiting for the best moment to molt :)

I also know how unnerving it is to own a new tarantula, but you'll soon learn its way to live and will enjoy seeing it to grow!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've have new tarantulas that did not want to scavenge bug parts, but readily took to pinhead crickets or baby roaches that were size appropriate.

Latest posts