• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mature Male

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Just had my G. Grossa have his Ultimate Molt. Sure would like to send him off to breed if at all possible. Must be reputable on this forum after that Im eazy.

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Just had my G. Grossa have his Ultimate Molt. Sure would like to send him off to breed if at all possible. Must be reputable on this forum after that Im eazy.
20201030_173526.jpg
20201030_173629.jpg
20201030_173611.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanx. I really like him. I have a female as well but as it turns out she is at least 1 to 2 years behind him which is strange because they were closely the same size in february when I got them.
not that strange really, especially if sac mates as its natures way to make sure siblings dont breed with each other. Males mature more quickly than females so they are forced to look for older females and therefore sac female siblings are not a breeding size/age. It is possible to slow males right down and accelerate females from the same sac but surely new blood line is better all round :)

Phobik1

3 Year Member
not that strange really, especially if sac mates as its natures way to make sure siblings dont breed with each other. Males mature more quickly than females so they are forced to look for older females and therefore sac female siblings are not a breeding size/age. It is possible to slow males right down and accelerate females from the same sac but surely new blood line is better all round :)
Ahah. Makes sense. Im in no major hurry to breed really, as i have never done b4 but do plan on it in the future. Having a mature male hopefully gives me leverage in getting a sling bunch if i can ship him off to breed elsewhere.

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Ahah. Makes sense. Im in no major hurry to breed really, as i have never done b4 but do plan on it in the future. Having a mature male hopefully gives me leverage in getting a sling bunch if i can ship him off to breed elsewhere.
Ya know. Now that im thinking about. Buying sexed pairs of a certain T isnt really that smart, which is what i have done on a couple of occasions. Its better to just start w a female. I used to keep snakes and always got them in pairs even though the males do mature faster, they can live just as long as the famales and breed every year. Some were so driven to breed i could put them w 4 or even 5 separate females in a season.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's always good to swap a male for some slings.. I know in the US it's a bit different from here in the UK as I know you guys like to do 50/50 split on an egg sac where as over here it's not so common, most tend to sell the male outright or in our case we swap our MMs for slings (either the same species or something different) it's a good way to grow your collection and put something back into the hobby by letting your male be used for breeding :)

Phobik1

3 Year Member
It's always good to swap a male for some slings.. I know in the US it's a bit different from here in the UK as I know you guys like to do 50/50 split on an egg sac where as over here it's not so common, most tend to sell the male outright or in our case we swap our MMs for slings (either the same species or something different) it's a good way to grow your collection and put something back into the hobby by letting your male be used for breeding :)
Im certainly down for something like that. I tend to want 3 or more of a species if im gonna get slings anyway. Bring up a few n get a female.