• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Marketplace Best Practices

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sadly, the world is full of unscrupulous and dishonest people, not to mention that sometimes bad things happen to good people. But you can protect yourself from becoming victimized by those looking to do you harm, or separate you from your money, by following these few simple rules and guidelines for successful living and buying in the internet age.

1. Communication is Critical
If a seller is not willing to answer all your questions, get back to you in a reasonable amount of time, or keeps steering you to pay first + ask questions later; walk away. This is usually a red flag.

2. Details Matter
Make sure all aspects and variables are discussed, documented, and if necessary, photographic evidence is provided. Never assume, there is no silly question when your money is at stake.

3. Treat It Like A Business Transaction
Be sure of what you are buying, when you are receiving it, and exactly what you are getting. Treat it like a legal contract that you are entering into even though it's a basically verbal agreement, you are exchanging money for a product and the delivery thereof.

4. Use Traceable Payment Methods
You wouldn't throw money into a hole in the ground and expect to come back the next day and find it still there, why would you do it across the internet? Use a service like PayPal (not enforcing PP) or something that gives you some buyer's rights and reciprocity in case the seller doesn't come through, or the product is not as advertised or promised. Give yourself some recourse other than a soap box.

5. Trust Your Gut
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Check references, reviews, ask the person who else they've sold to and request pictures and proof of what you're getting if there's any twinge of uncertainty for you.

6. Bonafide Sellers Have Bad Days Too
Even high profile sellers sometimes have a bad day, make sure you do your research and see number five above regarding trusting your gut. There are many home hobbyists who do a great job selling, so don't assume because they're not a commercial business they're not on the level.

7. Inspect What You Expect
Before sending the money, or finalizing that transaction, make sure you understand all of the terms and conditions, the timing, the shipping method, the size of the animal or animals you are buying, and exactly the scientific names that the seller is purporting to send you. Don't feel silly asking for clarification or alternate means of conversation, like a text or an email, or God forbid even a phone call, lots of people will welcome this level of connection and responsibility.

8. Urgency Can Be A Concern
Social engineering is successful because there's often a call to immediate action, somebody is running out of something, a sale is ending, your input is required before X happens - there are no urgent emergencies in the tarantula world. If the seller you are looking to buy from sells out, someone else will have it in a few days or a few weeks. Don't be guiled into abandoning common sense based on someone else's purported urgency.

9. Take Responsibility
Only you can prevent you getting taken advantage of, ripped off or victimized. Don't expect any third party, the forum, the membership or administration here to share any responsibility for a transaction that you willfully entered into with an individual. Put your big person pants on and do your diligence or don't do the deal.

10. Have Fun
This hobby is a hobby of patience and personal satisfaction, if anything about a transaction makes you uncomfortable, don't go through it. If you find yourself stressed out because of how the seller is communicating, or not communicating with you, just walk away. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, and relaxing; don't induce or introduce additional stress into your life. An online spider purchase is not worth any angst.

Sorry for the long message, but it's easier to prevent a forest fire than it is to put one out.

I hope everybody reads this prior to making that Star-Crossed purchase that ends up costing them time, and money, or experiencing frustration through the hobby that we're all supposed to be here to enjoy and find solace in.

Best of luck in your online endeavors, friends.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sadly, the world is full of unscrupulous and dishonest people, not to mention that sometimes bad things happen to good people. But you can protect yourself from becoming victimized by those looking to do you harm, or separate you from your money, by following these few simple rules and guidelines for successful living and buying in the internet age.

1. Communication is Critical
If a seller is not willing to answer all your questions, get back to you in a reasonable amount of time, or keep steering you to pay first talk later; walk away.

2. Details Matter
Make sure all aspects and variables are discussed, documented, and if necessary photographic evidence is provided. Never assume, there is no silly question when your money is at stake.

3. Treat It Like A Business Transaction
Be sure of what you are buying, when you are receiving it, and exactly what you are getting. Treat it like a legal contract that you are entering into even though it's a basically verbal agreement, you are exchanging money for a product and delivery thereof.

4. Use Traceable Payment Methods
You wouldn't throw money into a hole in the ground and come back the next day and expect it to still be there, why would you do it across the internet? Use a service like PayPal (not enforcing PP) or something that gives you some buyer's rights and reciprocity in case the seller doesn't come through, or the product is not as advertised or promised. Give yourself some recourse other than a soap box.

5. Trust Your Gut
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Check references, reviews, ask the person who else they've sold to and request pictures and proof of what you're getting if there's any twinge of uncertainty for you.

6. Bonafide Sellers Have Bad Days Too
Even high profile sellers sometimes have a bad day, make sure you do your research and see number five above regarding trusting your gut. There are many home hobbyists who do a great job selling, so don't assume because they're not a commercial business they're not on the level.

7. Inspect What You Expect
Before sending the money, or finalizing that transaction, make sure you understand all of the terms and conditions, the timing, the shipping method, the size of the animal or animals you are buying, and exactly the scientific names that the seller is purporting to send you. Don't feel silly asking for clarification or alternate means of conversation, like a text or an email, or God forbid even a phone call, lots of people will welcome this level of connection and responsibility.

8. Urgency Can Be A Concern
Social engineering is successful because there's often a call to immediate action, somebody is running out of something, a sale is ending, your input is required before X happens - there are no urgent emergencies in the tarantula world. If the seller you are looking to buy from sells out, someone else will have it in a few days or a few weeks. Don't be guiled into abandoning common sense based on someone else's purported urgency.

9. Take Responsibility
Only you can prevent you getting taken advantage of, ripped off or victimized. Don't expect any third party, the forum, the membership or administration here to share any responsibility for a transaction that you willfully entered into with an individual. Put your big person pants on and do your diligence or don't do the deal.

10. Have Fun
This hobby is a hobby of patience and personal satisfaction, if anything about a transaction makes you uncomfortable, don't go through it. If you find yourself stressed out because of how the seller is communicating, or not communicating with you, just walk away. Hobbies supposed to be fun and relaxing, don't induce or introduce additional stress into your life. An online spider purchase is not worth it.

Sorry for the long message, but it's easier to prevent a forest fire than it is to put one out. I hope everybody reads this prior to making that Star-Crossed purchase that ends up costing them time and money or experiencing frustration through the hobby that we're all supposed to be here to enjoy and find solace in.

Best of luck in your online endeavors, friends.
It may prove useful to make this a sticky. It may also help newcomers if a thread with links to the reviews and even sites of reputable sellers was created.

cubbi1568

It may prove useful to make this a sticky. It may also help newcomers if a thread with links to the reviews and even sites of reputable sellers was created.
I only purchase spiders from reputable site like undergroundrepyipls.com, fearnottarantulas.com, microwilderness.com because I trust them and service is great. Expecting a sling tomorrow morning

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I only purchase spiders from reputable site like undergroundrepyipls.com, fearnottarantulas.com, microwilderness.com because I trust them and service is great. Expecting a sling tomorrow morning
Those may be fine sites, and while I don't have direct experience with them I might add that the definition of "reputable" is simple:

Screenshot_20211201-175208.png

Private sellers, like some of the membership here that don't have commercial websites nor the overhead expense of running a business, can be reputable, too, and cost competitive; and often a better value.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Those may be fine sites, and while I don't have direct experience with them I might add that the definition of "reputable" is simple:

View attachment 61507

Private sellers, like some of the membership here that don't have commercial websites nor the overhead expense of running a business, can be reputable, too, and cost competitive; and often a better value.

I agree 100%. There are private sellers that are more reputable than some of the commercial vendors.....such as backwater reptiles. Such a bad vendor.

MBullock

3 Year Member
If you collect from the wild to sell, here's a good warning:

Look out for people that seek to purchase all your adult females- these guys are basically trying to destroy you on the down-low by acquiring your stock. Their intent is to remove you as competition, then all the females you sold them are now their brood stock, and his large customer base will be all the potential customers you lost by selling him said females. Then at that point you'd have to sell wholesale just to get customers.

One guy that tried this on me even blatantly tried to get collection locality information from me.

Yeesh, it's bad enough he was working me like this, but the cherry on the top is he tried to turn my autodidacticism into his own profit and ruin me severely by becoming direct competition. Be careful!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Bad thing about that is your paying 2-3 times more for spiders. Breeders in the forums is the best place to get spiders. Example- one of your said dealers selling slings for $85 -$100 each. Myself as a breeder sells them 5 for $100. Honestly I don't purchase from dealers myself...I sell to them, and if I told you what I wholesale them for you would puke. ;)

cubbi1568

Bad thing about that is your paying 2-3 times more for spiders. Breeders in the forums is the best place to get spiders. Example- one of your said dealers selling slings for $85 -$100 each. Myself as a breeder sells them 5 for $100. Honestly I don't purchase from dealers myself...I sell to them, and if I told you what I wholesale them for you would puke. ;)
Thats good yo know. I just started in the hobby back in June. Still learning the ropes but for the sling I ordered I’m trying again because the last red and black one died. I will be checking out the breeders here, I think I’m addicted

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Ill keep this in mind when starting my next breeding project.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Your word is everything. I know sh** happens to everyone at some point in time....but if you say something, mean it. Follow through and be professional as possible.

On a side note: I am a clown on some days. This is my natural behavior. There is an excuse for me.....but no one else besides Kenny (@Arachnoclown) may resort to this type of unprofessional behavior or to the forum corner you all shall go!!!!

Hahahahaha!!

Just kidding. I love you guys! :)

Does this still apply as a general rule in 2023?

Latest posts