• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Major's Enclosures

Major 78

So I have two tarantulas coming in, and two enclosures coming in. I knew I would be getting a third tarantula sometime in the next couple weeks so I would need an enclosure. So I was walking into my kitchen and my mom stops me. She was holding a really cool looking jar that used to hold coffee grounds. She asked if I could use it for one of my bugs, I immediately said yes. I took it and was thinking of what I could house in it. It was tall, wide at the bottom, narrow in the middle, and a little wider at top. (I'll give pics don't worry.) So I decided this would be cool for an arboreal sling (1 1/2" or under) or maybe even a terrestrial sling that likes deep substrate to burrow. I cut a hole in the top to stick some mesh in. The cut was kind of jagged so I sanded it down. I was looking for mesh but couldn't find any. I did find this drainage layer for plant pots that had larger holes than mesh, which allowed more airflow. And, it was pretty firm. So I cut it down to size, drilled so holes, and screwed it on. I still need to seal the edges of it to prevent escapees, so need to restock on hot glue sticks, am going to get some in half an hour. Here are the promised pictures. You can see my hair in one of them, didn't realize there was mirror there lol.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Major 78

Building my second enclosure (really just ventilating it lol) as we speak! I hate my drill, it's so crappy lol. Well, it's good but it's battery life sucks. So after every hole I have to charge it, it's a really old drill lol. Oh yeah, just walked back from the arts and crafts store, bought a small mason jar, a couple fake plants, and hot glue sticks, I'm drilling the lid of the mason jar right now.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A novel idea @Major 78. Always cool to see new options. However, there is not a lot of ventilation in that glass enclosure. Watch out for mold or swampy substrate. I would not recommend housing a species susceptible to poor cross ventilation like C. versicolor.

Major 78

A novel idea @Major 78. Always cool to see new options. However, there is not a lot of ventilation in that glass enclosure. Watch out for mold or swampy substrate. I would not recommend housing a species susceptible to poor cross ventilation like C. versicolor.

Wait... This is poor ventilation? Oh OK. I'm so used to keeping things that barely need any ventilation. I know tarantulas need a lot but I didn't know THAT much. Do you think my N. Incei would do OK in this? If not, I'm working on a project with amazing ventilation, but I won't be done soon... There are a lot of holes that need to be drilled. Is it possible to drill glass? If I recall, I think you need a special bit for it, but don't remember the name. Oh well... off to Google!

Say I didn't change the ventilation in this, and left it as is, would my N Incei do OK?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Screens and tarantulas don't mix. What you could've done is burn multiple holes on the sides of the jar, which would create cross ventilation.

Major 78

How big is your N. Incei?

1" I've decided to buy a 1/8 inch glass drill bit with carbide, it's five bucks and free shipping so pretty cheap.

Screens and tarantulas don't mix. What you could've done is burn multiple holes on the sides of the jar, which would create cross ventilation.

Burn holes? But how would you control the flame to create perfect ventilation? Also, yes I know screens and tarantulas don't usually mix well because tarantulas can get their fangs stuck. But these holes are pretty big. I'm also gonna drill some holes in the glass.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
1" I've decided to buy a 1/8 inch glass drill bit with carbide, it's five bucks and free shipping so pretty cheap.

Burn holes? But how would you control the flame to create perfect ventilation? Also, yes I know screens and tarantulas don't usually mix well because tarantulas can get their fangs stuck. But these holes are pretty big. I'm also gonna drill some holes in the glass.
With plastic it's easiest to melt holes with a soldering iron which is what Panzo is referring to.
Mesh can catch claws, but it's usually where the wires in wire mesh cross that causes a problem. While you have mesh, it is basically holes in a sheet of plastic, not a woven mesh so I shouldn't think you'd have a problem, but then I don't have the long experience with tarantulas as others here do.
All looking good imo!

Major 78

With plastic it's easiest to melt holes with a soldering iron which is what Panzo is referring to.
Mesh can catch claws, but it's usually where the wires in wire mesh cross that causes a problem. While you have mesh, it is basically holes in a sheet of plastic, not a woven mesh so I shouldn't think you'd have a problem, but then I don't have the long experience with tarantulas as others here do.
All looking good imo!

Ah OK. Could you use the soldering iron on glass?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nope, not gonna work on glass. Drilling glass can be done, and it would be a good skill to acquire, but making individual ventilation holes would be very time consuming. Usually I take lids or enclosures to the aquarium store and have 2" holes cut which I then glue mesh over or put plastic cupboard vents into, for tarantulas perforated plastic of some sort would be preferable, perhaps the pre-made vents would be suitable, as I understand it's the woven mesh that causes problems.

Major 78

Nope, not gonna work on glass. Drilling glass can be done, and it would be a good skill to acquire, but making individual ventilation holes would be very time consuming. Usually I take lids or enclosures to the aquarium store and have 2" holes cut which I then glue mesh over or put plastic cupboard vents into, for tarantulas perforated plastic of some sort would be preferable, perhaps the pre-made vents would be suitable, as I understand it's the woven mesh that causes problems.

OK thanks! I'm actually having quite a bit of fun making enclosures, even the time so summing drilling. I'm working on another project that has amazing cross ventilation. I have ordered a glass drill bit too, so will see what I can do with that.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Major 78 I have been looking at this post and love your enthusiasm, drive and determination to build your own enclosures. Well done young man.
@Dave Jay, @WolfSpider, @PanzoN88 have all given sound and constructive advice and I would concur with everything said. What is really pleasing about this is key facts such as:
1. don't trust pet stores
2. don't trust care sheets
3. don't trust the internet
have all come through in a really postive way and this is one of the reasons why this forum is head and shoulders above other forums "that shall not be named". Keep up the good work Major, we learn by experience, some good some bad, but learn is all we can do....oh, and listen to our elders....LOL :)
Great post.

Major 78

@Major 78 I have been looking at this post and love your enthusiasm, drive and determination to build your own enclosures. Well done young man.
@Dave Jay, @WolfSpider, @PanzoN88 have all given sound and constructive advice and I would concur with everything said. What is really pleasing about this is key facts such as:
1. don't trust pet stores
2. don't trust care sheets
3. don't trust the internet
have all come through in a really postive way and this is one of the reasons why this forum is head and shoulders above other forums "that shall not be named". Keep up the good work Major, we learn by experience, some good some bad, but learn is all we can do....oh, and listen to our elders....LOL :)
Great post.

Thank you for the advice! And yes, the forum that shall not be named is no where near as friendly as helpful as this. "That" forum is toxic and pushes new keepers away with hate and in-helpfulness. "That" forum just points out all your mistakes, not the things you did good or how to improve. That's why this forum is my favorite T forum.

Major 78

Built another enclosure! This one is fully furnished too. @Dave Jay this is the project I was working on that has good ventilation. :) not as good as you more experienced enclosure builders out there, but it gets the job done and I think it looks decent. Btw the lid is not pictures, but that has good ventilation (NO MESH SCREEN) too. If anything this has too much ventilation lol. Enough of my ranting, here it is.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Oh yeah, built a tiny mason jar enclosure (lid has ventilation don't worry, and no mesh screen). It's intended for new born slings, around 1/8 in to around 4/6 in. Pre made burrow. No water dish though, not enough room, and I'm afraid it would raise humidity too much since this enclosure is small and isn't super well ventilated, the ventilation is OK though for such a small sling. Here are the pics.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Right now it's a little swampy, I accidental sprayed too much water. And that blue thing is the water dish, but I took it out.

Next up is the original enclosure I made, but this time complete with a water dish, crude yet functional hide, and some plants. It's my arboreal enclosure, so I won't keep the N. Incei in it. Oh yeah, if any mods are reading, can you change the title to "Major's Enclosures". Cuz now I've made this into just posting enclosures I made. Lol.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry about the bad photo quality, these were taken with my IPad not my camera.

Last but not least is my largest enclosure. I'm hoping to rescue a Curly Hair tonight, and will house it in that. Fingers crossed.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

And yeah, that's all I got. I do have a Jamies Tarantula juvenile terrestrial enclosure coming in next week, and a Bugs In Cyber Space tarantula enclosure kit.

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Built another enclosure! This one is fully furnished too. @Dave Jay this is the project I was working on that has good ventilation. :) not as good as you more experienced enclosure builders out there, but it gets the job done and I think it looks decent. Btw the lid is not pictures, but that has good ventilation (NO MESH SCREEN) too. If anything this has too much ventilation lol. Enough of my ranting, here it is.

View attachment 34422 View attachment 34423 View attachment 34424 View attachment 34425 View attachment 34426

Oh yeah, built a tiny mason jar enclosure (lid has ventilation don't worry, and no mesh screen). It's intended for new born slings, around 1/8 in to around 4/6 in. Pre made burrow. No water dish though, not enough room, and I'm afraid it would raise humidity too much since this enclosure is small and isn't super well ventilated, the ventilation is OK though for such a small sling. Here are the pics. View attachment 34428View attachment 34429

Right now it's a little swampy, I accidental sprayed too much water. And that blue thing is the water dish, but I took it out.

Next up is the original enclosure I made, but this time complete with a water dish, crude yet functional hide, and some plants. It's my arboreal enclosure, so I won't keep the N. Incei in it. Oh yeah, if any mods are reading, can you change the title to "Major's Enclosures". Cuz now I've made this into just posting enclosures I made. Lol.View attachment 34430
View attachment 34431
View attachment 34432
Sorry about the bad photo quality, these were taken with my IPad not my camera.

Last but not least is my largest enclosure. I'm hoping to rescue a Curly Hair tonight, and will house it in that. Fingers crossed. View attachment 34433View attachment 34434 View attachment 34435
And yeah, that's all I got. I do have a Jamies Tarantula juvenile terrestrial enclosure coming in next week, and a Bugs In Cyber Space tarantula enclosure kit.
Looking good. Very impressive. Good work young man.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
These enclosures stand up with the best of them Major! They all look great, practical too, you've covered all the spiders needs and made them attractive too.
I actually prefer to have the substrate pretty moist when I set an enclosure up, it's easier to pack and when it dries it sets hard.
Btw, You can change the title of the thread by editing the first post if I recall.

Major 78

These enclosures stand up with the best of them Major! They all look great, practical too, you've covered all the spiders needs and made them attractive too.
I actually prefer to have the substrate pretty moist when I set an enclosure up, it's easier to pack and when it dries it sets hard.
Btw, You can change the title of the thread by editing the first post if I recall.
Yeah I agree, I start with moist and let it dry a bit, it hardens it into the shape I want. Also, thank you for the kind words! The first post edit to change the title only works for Formiculture.com, mixing up your forums lol!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I have two tarantulas coming in, and two enclosures coming in. I knew I would be getting a third tarantula sometime in the next couple weeks so I would need an enclosure. So I was walking into my kitchen and my mom stops me. She was holding a really cool looking jar that used to hold coffee grounds. She asked if I could use it for one of my bugs, I immediately said yes. I took it and was thinking of what I could house in it. It was tall, wide at the bottom, narrow in the middle, and a little wider at top. (I'll give pics don't worry.) So I decided this would be cool for an arboreal sling (1 1/2" or under) or maybe even a terrestrial sling that likes deep substrate to burrow. I cut a hole in the top to stick some mesh in. The cut was kind of jagged so I sanded it down. I was looking for mesh but couldn't find any. I did find this drainage layer for plant pots that had larger holes than mesh, which allowed more airflow. And, it was pretty firm. So I cut it down to size, drilled so holes, and screwed it on. I still need to seal the edges of it to prevent escapees, so need to restock on hot glue sticks, am going to get some in half an hour. Here are the promised pictures. You can see my hair in one of them, didn't realize there was mirror there lol.

View attachment 34384 View attachment 34383
View attachment 34380 View attachment 34381 View attachment 34382

That screen is fully bonded with very large holes. I doubt it'll trap anything. The screws can be removed and the sharp points filed smooth in a rounded way.

They'll still hold the screen on.

The major issue with screw top lids is that if the T bolts up at just the wrong time, it can get pinched or even killed by the rotation and sheering action of the rotating lid. That means you have to have visual on the T and screw it on slowly.

With a dry spider, the enclosure can probably be made to work. Drilling glass usually ends in disaster.

Still, getting a Jamie's juvenile cage and burning a few more holes around the top in addition to the screen is by far a better product. You can also add a feeding port to a Jamie's cage for a faster species.

Here's how I did mine.

Vacant cage 6.jpg
Vacant cage 5.jpg
Vacant cage 4.jpg

This cage has no denizen of my mad realm yet. It would be ideal for a more exuberant species.

These are very affordable. The only pricey item you'll need is a drill and the proper sized Spade bit or a hole saw bit if you're adding additional screens.

Http://www.roundvents.com has the vent you see there.

Latest posts