• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

M balfouri egg sac

Czar Exotics

3 Year Member
Hey y’all, so my female m balfouri produced an egg sac from my first ever pairing. I’m obviously new to breeding, so I had a concern arise from this. I know most tarantula species stay over their egg sac and you should pull the sac about 30 days so she don’t eat it. M balfouri I’ve read you can leave it or pull it, but it’s cool to see the way the mom cares for the young, so I really wanted to witness that. However, since she’s made the egg sac about 2 weeks ago, she has left it in a corner and she has been in her hide ever since. So, I’m not sure if I should just leave it in the enclosure or if I should just pull it. Thanks ahead of time for any information.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You can leave the sac with M balfouri, they are very maternal and tend not to eat the sac

If you'd rather pull it, you can.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wanted to leave it with her, but I was just concerned since she basically produced the egg sac and then left it in a corner of the enclosure unattended for the past 2 weeks.
What are your temps and relative humidity?
What's the enclosure ventilation like?
What moisture source do you provide?

Czar Exotics

3 Year Member
The room I keep them in stays about 78 degrees. I don’t measure humidity level like that. Have a lot of tarantula and snakes in the reptile room. Humidity is probably anywhere from 60-80% as I have my egg incubator in there, which is a giant igloo cooler with water and an aquarium heater to heat it. I dampen a corner of the enclosure and provide a water dish.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The room I keep them in stays about 78 degrees. I don’t measure humidity level like that. Have a lot of tarantula and snakes in the reptile room. Humidity is probably anywhere from 60-80% as I have my egg incubator in there, which is a giant igloo cooler with water and an aquarium heater to heat it. I dampen a corner of the enclosure and provide a water dish.
You should be good considering the low moisture needs of the species in general, focusing on ideal conditions for the sac

Latest posts