• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

M. balfouri communal advice

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

I am thinking about setting up a Monocentropus balfouri communal. From watching some videos (Tom Moran and Dave's Little Beasties), as well as looking at past posts on here, I gather that the following points are important:

- Making sure they are sac-mates/have grown up together
- Keeping them in a small enclosure relative to their size/number so they hopefully set up home together rather than creating their own territories
- Making sure they are well-fed to avoid cannibalism
- Keeping a larger group seems to have better outcomes than keeping just a few?

I have found communals of either 5 or 10 for sale. I was thinking of going for 10, due to the last point above and also in the hope that some will be females who will live longer, but I am still undecided.

I wondered if anyone with experience of this has anything to add/correct? In particular I wondered where in the UK I can buy a large enough vivarium with adequate ventilation once they are fully grown? (I will be getting slings but want to be prepared). I wondered if something like this would be suitable? >

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most "communal advise" out there is rubbish, but you are not far off.

They need not be sac mates and you can introduce new members at rehousing events.

Size the enclosure depending on the size of the spiders in the community, and size of the community. You want to keep them in something smaller than larger so they remain "in touch" with one another,.so to speak. They are a collaborative species.

I have had community housing for as few as 2 and 5; both did fine. I currently have 2 communal setups:
One is a 20cm cube with 15 individuals of mixed size and origin.
The other is a 25x40 rectangular bin with mom and 40+ slings. They often crawl all over her.

I feed both enclosures weekly offering feeders in small groups, like 3-4 crickets or roaches at a time, so everyone gets a chance. Still, it's not uncommon for them to wrestle food from each other, literally tearing the food items apart. Eventually everyone gets a piece.

PXL_20210912_230804276.MP.jpg
PXL_20210912_231138672.MP.jpg

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Most "communal advise" out there is rubbish, but you are not far off.

They need not be sac mates and you can introduce new members at rehousing events.

Size the enclosure depending on the size of the spiders in the community, and size of the community. You want to keep them in something smaller than larger so they remain "in touch" with one another,.so to speak. They are a collaborative species.

I have had community housing for as few as 2 and 5; both did fine. I currently have 2 communal setups:
One is a 20cm cube with 15 individuals of mixed size and origin.
The other is a 25x40 rectangular bin with mom and 40+ slings. They often crawl all over her.

I feed both enclosures weekly offering feeders in small groups, like 3-4 crickets or roaches at a time, so everyone gets a chance. Still, it's not uncommon for them to wrestle food from each other, literally tearing the food items apart. Eventually everyone gets a piece.

View attachment 59847View attachment 59848

Thanks so much for the info that's really helpful :) Interesting that they don't need to be sac mates as long as you rehouse them together.

Latest posts