• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lucky reptile critter box really suitable for avicularia?

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi there, I bought one of these as I would like to try an avic, I had one a sling that died at moulting so I’m a bit nervy, especially when I thought the ventilation was o.k.
So I got one of these, as you can see a lot of vents at the top, which I read that you want to keep some humidity so you really only need a few holes at the top but I can screen some of these off, the adjustable vent holes are located in the middle of this box so is that enough? Would I be better adding a few more towards the top and just a few at the base to allow the air to rise OR is this box fine? It’s been suggested on a few sites it is o.k, I don’t have to use it so it’s no problem and custom drill a sling pot.
Many thanks for any help.
B11DEAC7-7F51-4C8E-B0F1-87BB67386CFE.jpeg
6FF002A3-B691-406C-A542-EDAD0482DD9A.jpeg

Tnoob

I got this bernzomatic propane soldering iron today. It's great would do your job just fine. I hear they need good ventilation. I don't see you could do to much damage.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
That’s a good idea to burn holes, I was going to drill but the plastic could shatter, I have a small soldering iron so I’ll try, I think it needs a few extra holes.
Thanks.

Tnoob

That’s a good idea to burn holes, I was going to drill but the plastic could shatter, I have a small soldering iron so I’ll try, I think it needs a few extra holes.
Thanks.
I had a hard time drilling into plastic with my dremmel. The bit wants to drift or when it does go it tends to chip and won't make a precise hole. I think it has to do with how plastic reacts when heated from friction.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
I had a hard time drilling into plastic with my dremmel. The bit wants to drift or when it does go it tends to chip and won't make a precise hole. I think it has to do with how plastic reacts when heated from friction.
Thanks, I went and bought myself a nice new soldering iron with a set of sharp points so I will give it a go on something, but maybe not these, but a great tip and always good to be able to make clean holes in containers. Thanks.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
I have used these for all of my Avics or pinktoe species (seeing as they aren't all Avics now!) Always done well without having to make any changes to the critter keeper :)
Thanks very much, glad you find them successful, especially seeing that I bought Swell reptiles entire stock up earlier and now have 7! :D
Very nice to know you’ve had such good success though, thanks for your help.
Looking forward to getting a few avics.:)

Tabitha

3 Year Member
For me looks like it would be a nightmare to have to split the entire enclosure apart to maintain. Especially since Avics web at the top. Personally I wouldnt bother with it.
Thanks, that’s also a very important thought, I have never kept webbers except for my GBB so that’s a very valid point, apart from loss of viewing areas feeding would be o.k because of the top hatch, hmm tricky, well I try one of these anyway with an avic but I warn you..if they aren’t suitable I will just have to buy something else to fill them with! :rolleyes::D
( I just did..I got B auratum and 2 klaasi) shhhhhhhh;)

Tabitha

3 Year Member

JSReptilesUK

For me looks like it would be a nightmare to have to split the entire enclosure apart to maintain. Especially since Avics web at the top. Personally I wouldnt bother with it.

I found it quite useful with them as the Avic would be at the top in the webbing and you take it apart and put the top section down so they're still contained while you sort out the bottom :)

Tabitha

3 Year Member
I found it quite useful with them as the Avic would be at the top in the webbing and you take it apart and put the top section down so they're still contained while you sort out the bottom :)
I will be trialing them soon so I’ll see how it goes, so I guess you could wire a piece of cork into the top and it would stay there and not disrupt the web, if you did need to separate the two halves.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So no plants, sticks, cork bark??? Sounds like a boring life for a Avic....please show photos.