• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

LP substrate question

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have a non-burrowing 5.5" LP residing in a 10-gallon tank. I used to have 4-5" of substrate (coco fiber) in her enclosure thinking she would dig into it. Never happened. She doesn't climb but likes to sit on her flat rock or on top of her half-round hide, but never once went underground. Long story short, when I last cleaned out her enclosure I only put in an inch or so of substrate and she seems fine with that. I've read on several occasions that these critters will dig, but not this one. Any reason to have that much substrate for a non-burrower? Inquiring minds...

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've got 3 LPs and none of them have dug since they were slings. A fall from that height wouldn't hurt them. If they got a toe stuck on the screen then they may have a problem. I've yet to ever have that happen to any of my spiders in nearly 40 years but you never know.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I've had her for over a year now and the only climbing she's ever done is on top of her half-round. Never up a wall or anything like that. Maybe she's just one of those that doesn't take to climbing or burrowing.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had her for over a year now and the only climbing she's ever done is on top of her half-round. Never up a wall or anything like that. Maybe she's just one of those that doesn't take to climbing or burrowing.

My mature female doesn't climb either. My mature male does so I have him in a short enclosure.

Latest posts