• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for some expo recommendations!

E

ExMember

We have an expo coming up in about 3 months time. I want to get some more tarantulas but I don't know what species yet. As I try to do as much research as possible before I get a new animal I need to start that right away :)

These are my current species :

Tliltocatl albopilosum
Grammastola pulchra
Grammastola pulchripes
Brachypelma hamorii
Brachypelma baumgarteni
Brachypelma boehmei
Brachypelma emilia
Brachypelma auratum
Brachypelma klaasi
Brachypelma albiceps
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Pterinopelma sazimai
Eupalaestrus campestratus
Aphonopelma calchodes
Aphonopelma hentzi

I am currently looking for new world only. At the top of the list is a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Also I will jump at a Brachypelma smithi. And maybe a Caribena/Avicularia species. Trying to avoid large bird eaters as I don't currently have the space to house.

Any suggestions?:)

Cheers and :beer:

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Dolichothele diamantinensis are wonderful little dwarf T's. Similar colouring to a Gbb. Skittishness as slings calms down considerably as they grow, and they grow pretty quickly. Great Webber's. Terrestrial but I'd describe them as semi-arboreal. Mine def loves living the arboreal life.

Check out any Euathlus species too. Don t get big and are attractive T's.

Honourable mention to Homeomma chilensis (though they are like gold dust!)

If you happen across any Cotztetlana species I would snap them up if affordable. They seem interesting and I don't believe they get too big. Apparently they are great burrowers as slings and will dig and dig, but whether this continues into adulthood I'm not sure.

If money is no object then of course you have to look out for a T seladonia :)

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I personally wouldn't recommend any Cotztetlana species to someone relatively new to the hobby. We have a sp. Puebla and haven't seen it since it was housed. I'd imagine you'll be looking for something a little more visual. That's if you can even find one for sale and are willing to pay for it.

I'd agree with Panzo and recommend any of the Psalmopoeus as a "step up". Irminia being a favourite :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Aphonopelma johnnycashi & Homoeomma chilensis are both worth getting. But be prepared for a long slow grow. I brought both at the end of the summer as tiny slings, both molted this week & both are now well over 5mm. This summers molt, if I get one, may achieve 6mm:rolleyes:. But both species are very much worth having.

E

ExMember

Dolichothele diamantinensis are wonderful little dwarf T's. Similar colouring to a Gbb. Skittishness as slings calms down considerably as they grow, and they grow pretty quickly. Great Webber's. Terrestrial but I'd describe them as semi-arboreal. Mine def loves living the arboreal life.

Check out any Euathlus species too. Don t get big and are attractive T's.

Honourable mention to Homeomma chilensis (though they are like gold dust!)

If you happen across any Cotztetlana species I would snap them up if affordable. They seem interesting and I don't believe they get too big. Apparently they are great burrowers as slings and will dig and dig, but whether this continues into adulthood I'm not sure.

If money is no object then of course you have to look out for a T seladonia :)

Thanks for the response @Jess S ! I wish I could find a Homeomma chilensis! We have had problems even finding G rosea here. Anything from Chile is practically a no go. I have been looking for an adult G rosea for some time and nothing. I noticed some 1/4" slings for sale but would probably be dead by the time it's a juvie!

Dolichothele diamantinensis is one I am considering. Euathlus are so rare that I have never seen one. Canadian market is no where what Europe or the US is.

Never even heard of Cotztetlana before. Will look into it! And I can get T seladonia no problem. Gorgeous t's. The only spider I have lost so far was a tiny 1/4" albo so I am reluctant to spend 300 bucks on a 1/4" sling.

E

ExMember

I personally wouldn't recommend any Cotztetlana species to someone relatively new to the hobby. We have a sp. Puebla and haven't seen it since it was housed. I'd imagine you'll be looking for something a little more visual. That's if you can even find one for sale and are willing to pay for it.

I'd agree with Panzo and recommend any of the Psalmopoeus as a "step up". Irminia being a favourite :)

I do have my share of Pet holes! Haven't seen my klaasi lassie for months! Damn hide plugging! I don't particularly care about that.

Psalmopoeus are something I haven't really considered as of yet. I hear they can be a handful!

Aphonopelma johnnycashi & Homoeomma chilensis are both worth getting. But be prepared for a long slow grow. I brought both at the end of the summer as tiny slings, both molted this week & both are now well over 5mm. This summers molt, if I get one, may achieve 6mm:rolleyes:. But both species are very much worth having.

Sounds like my Eupalaestrus campestratus! 6 month fast for a half inch sling. It finally moulted and really gained no discernable growth! But I'm happy to see it eat again! :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club

Ok, but by your own criteria (newness and visibility) P. irminia wouldn't be a great choice as they are hiding in the day (unless you luck out and get an oddball) plus not the greatest starter arboreal in terms of speed and venom potency. cambridgei however is what I'd personally get if I wanted to get into arboreals and didn't want to start with avics. Generally a bit calmer and more visible.

Both the above are probably widely available in Canada same as everywhere else (I assume cos I don't know what's there and what's not)

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, but by your own criteria (newness and visibility) P. irminia wouldn't be a great choice as they are hiding in the day (unless you luck out and get an oddball) plus not the greatest starter arboreal in terms of speed and venom potency. cambridgei however is what I'd personally get if I wanted to get into arboreals and didn't want to start with avics. Generally a bit calmer and more visible.

Both the above are probably widely available in Canada same as everywhere else (I assume cos I don't know what's there and what's not)

I’m not trying to start an argument. Just giving my opinion but with the psalmopoeus that we own the Cambridgei are the ones I don’t see as often and our Irminias are often on show @Arachnoclown experiences the same with his Irminias i believe. Being same genus the venoms are just as potent and althou I agree they can be fast they aren’t very “skittish” and bolt to thier hides rather than out or around the enclosure.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I own 4 different species of Psalmopoeus and a total of 16 speciems. They are by far the most visible arboreals in my collection. Yes they can be a handful...fast and defensive.
20190216_183110.jpg

E

ExMember

I have been looking at price lists and came across Homoeomma peruvianum. Anyone know what kind of temperament these ones have. Similar to H chilensis?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I have been looking at price lists and came across Homoeomma peruvianum. Anyone know what kind of temperament these ones have. Similar to H chilensis?
No idea but if I came across anything of the Homoeomma or Euathlus genera (even though Euathlus is little messy) I would snap it up before someone else does. That's just me though.... :)