• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for Grammostola Pulchra or Rosea

T_spidey

Hi Grammostola parents,

I am pretty new to having Tarantulas but the hobby is very addictive and I already have a Brachypelma Albopilosum adolescent and a sling. I am attaching a pic of my adolescent here.

However, I have also been told that the Grammostola Pulchra and Rosea are great beginner species and also have been known to being handled well. While I know that every tarantula is an individual, and they like any other animal have their good and bad days, I want to procure juvies or adolescents of both the pulchra or rosea. The problem is, the local exotic pet store where I got my curly hairs, do not stock the pulchra or the rosea (more difficult to find with export restrictions from Chile I believe).

Since you all have grammostolas, would be able to help me out please.

Regards,
SC

p.s. - I am not a careless keeper and handle them only sometimes and after trying to gauge their mood. I am more concerned about the wellbeing of my spider than getting bit or having hairs shot at.

T_spidey

Curly Hair 1.jpeg

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
There are many sellers. Don't be afraid of shipping. It would help to know the general area of the country you are in.

I much prefer the G. pulchra because they don't go on those damned prolonged hunger strikes like the rose hairs do. I've had many of both over the years. Currently I have 10 G. pulchra and no G. rosea, if that is any indication. I wouldn't mind sending you one of my slings if we can figure out the shipping. If not look up Fear Not or Jaimies, or here on the forum ask @Casey K. or @Arachnoclown .

T_spidey

Hi @Tortoise Tom I live in North East PA. Zip code is 18360. Amazon prime, fedexpress over night and UPS all deliver here.

If you have slings or juvies, I can send the money over PayPal or Western Union for both the T as well as shipping. I know for sure that this is something that I already love. I saw my Curly hair hubttwise yesterday and it was like watching natgeo. The second time it was ready to pounce but was waiting as I was putting in the cricket with my hand. She's so nice. She waited patiently till my hand was removed and then short charged grabbed the cricket and turned her back towards me meaning she wanted to eat in peace. So intelligent!

So please let me know.
@Casey K. And @Arachnoclown please let me know as well.

Thanks in advance,
SC

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a female G pulchra that just molted for the first time in a year and a half. She's got about a three inch leg span. I've watched this slowpoke grow from a sling. I refuse to sell her because she pisses me off, like most females in my life:D. Get something else. Or an adult female. Don't invite drama into your life!! Or, raise her temps. I just put her next to my ackie enclosure..room temp invites slow growth. Get a heat mat and put it on the side of the enclosure, or a space heater, w/e..they grow EXTREMELY slow at a humans comfortable temp. Hope this helps..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's what you get! Karma's a b**ch!!! Roflmmfao!!! :D How's that for a "female" pissing you off, Mass??? Ha ha ha! (Seriously though, hope you are ok)
My finger is numb..the stinging has worn off, and I adore that comment..too fkn true..lmao. I'll never let this girl go now. We are one.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
..they grow EXTREMELY slow at a humans comfortable temp.

I got a bunch of little G. pulchra from Casey K. just a few months ago and they are growing at pretty normal rate. Some of them are around 1.5" now. They are almost ready to eat adult male B lats. One more molt. They've been molting in unison about once a month. Its been kind of neat having so many at once. My reptile room is between 80-90, so I think your temperature idea might be right on.

Now excuse me while I go read your bite report!!! :)

T_spidey

I have a female G pulchra that just molted for the first time in a year and a half. She's got about a three inch leg span. I've watched this slowpoke grow from a sling. I refuse to sell her because she pisses me off, like most females in my life:D. Get something else. Or an adult female. Don't invite drama into your life!! Or, raise her temps. I just put her next to my ackie enclosure..room temp invites slow growth. Get a heat mat and put it on the side of the enclosure, or a space heater, w/e..they grow EXTREMELY slow at a humans comfortable temp. Hope this helps..

I hope you are ok Mass? I would love to get an adult female but they are hard to come buy especially with highly recommended sellers like @Casey K. , @Arachnoclown and Jamie's. I wouldn't mind spending the money but I would want the little one to be safe and well during transit. So if anyone has any of those, then please let me know.

BTW, already spoke with Casey and getting my female G pulchra sling from her already.

:)

T_spidey

I'm good to go. No more effects except mild tenderness. ;) Congrats on the pulchra. Dont get to handsy..lol

My B albo female is close to 6 inches. SHe turns her back while feeding and heads off to her dining corner. When she needs feeding, she comes over to the water bowl and sits there with her abdomen touching the water. I have held her and the only time she panicked was when my GF shone a flash at her while taking the pic. She tried to scurry but my hand was inside her enclosure so she just dropped on the soft moss.

I am sure that I will be bit, probably multiple times and I am ready for that. Like you said, it is a special bonding. :)

The pulchra is still a sling so not much to worry about now. I will let her get used to my finger for the time being.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
G grossa is on my bucket list as well, a bit hard to find however. G pulcher is also very good looking as is G iheringi.

G iheringi also is reported to grow a bit faster. (Another bucket list tarantula of mine)

I've researched these guys a lot but don't yet have one.

Be extremely conservative with heat & for this genus I've never heard of even one species that requires heat. Heck, if you can keep your room temperature at 75 or 76 degrees instead of 70, you're probably good to go. 80 degrees is also safe but I wouldn't go any higher even if the tarantula can handle it.

How to safely heat them up is kinda beyond the scope of what is being asked here but it can be done.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
G grossa is on my bucket list as well, a bit hard to find however. G pulcher is also very good looking as is G iheringi.

G iheringi also is reported to grow a bit faster. (Another bucket list tarantula of mine)

I've researched these guys a lot but don't yet have one.

Be extremely conservative with heat & for this genus I've never heard of even one species that requires heat. Heck, if you can keep your room temperature at 75 or 76 degrees instead of 70, you're probably good to go. 80 degrees is also safe but I wouldn't go any higher even if the tarantula can handle it.

How to safely heat them up is kinda beyond the scope of what is being asked here but it can be done.
I have two G. grossa, they are as stunning in person as they are in pictures.

Latest posts