• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loaning for beginners?

ArdorAphonopelma

3 Year Member
Not now but maybe next year in the warmer months I want to loan Nurmi off to breed when she hits those next couple of inches, so my question is what should I expect for loaning? Nurmi can stay with the foster till she lays a sack but I wanna know the worth of the slings, my cut percentage,etc, also out of curiosity how do you determine the worth/price of Ts? obviously it's more expensive for breeding pairs and rare species but how do the species get their prices?

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not now but maybe next year in the warmer months I want to loan Nurmi off to breed when she hits those next couple of inches, so my question is what should I expect for loaning? Nurmi can stay with the foster till she lays a sack but I wanna know the worth of the slings, my cut percentage,etc, also out of curiosity how do you determine the worth/price of Ts? obviously it's more expensive for breeding pairs and rare species but how do the species get their prices?
Normally the male is sent to the owner of the female for breeding. Worth of sling varies on species. Most splits are 50/50 unless you have a deal already worked out

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What generally happens with most animals is that the local market floods even with only one or two people breeding a species so the price drops dramatically for a while. Something usually selling for $50ea may come down to 5 for $50 for a short while, supply outstrips demand. The fact that invertebrates are easy to post can cut both ways, it opens up the customer base so the animal may keep its value but there is the chance that market in the whole state or country becomes flooded and prices will stay low for quite some time. Luckily (unfortunately) inverts like scorpions and tarantulas have long generation times, can be difficult to breed and most of the young sold don't survive to become mature breeding specimens, therefore the market rarely stays flooded long.
Short answer, prices depend on how readily available the species is at any given time.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What generally happens with most animals is that the local market floods even with only one or two people breeding a species so the price drops dramatically for a while. Something usually selling for $50ea may come down to 5 for $50 for a short while, supply outstrips demand. The fact that invertebrates are easy to post can cut both ways, it opens up the customer base so the animal may keep its value but there is the chance that market in the whole state or country becomes flooded and prices will stay low for quite some time. Luckily (unfortunately) inverts like scorpions and tarantulas have long generation times, can be difficult to breed and most of the young sold don't survive to become mature breeding specimens, therefore the market rarely stays flooded long.
Short answer, prices depend on how readily available the species is at any given time.
P.metallica market here got heavily flooded. When I got into Ts 2years ago they were easily over a hundred some sellers had them at 200. Now you can find them for 60 on the low end.

Last edited: