• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Little Digger! G. Rosea (allegedly)

ASherpa

Hey everyone! This will be my first post. Please don't roast me, I can't handle the heat.

I am new to the hobby, got my first C. Versicolor around the beginning of last month. Since then, I have picked up a few others... one of which is a G. rosea (I think. was unlabeled and inexpensive... don't hate). This lil one is probably my largest, at about 1.75" give or take. This little one came home in an empty deli cup so I housed her (hopefully) in an enclosure I made. Its a 4x4x5 AMAC box with some pretty deep substrate (coco fiber and soil given to me by a local keeper), small water dish, tp tube (temporary) hide half buried with a depression under it as a starter burrow, and some fake aquarium plants for pizzaz. I put a bunch of substrate in there to fill the space so she wouldn't fall far if she decided to mess around.

It didn't occur to me to take a photo of the enclosure after I finished, as I had no clue what was in store. She started digging last night.
20201103_110327.jpg
I came in this morning to find she had made her home, into her own space. She has dug down to the bottom in one corner. She is stacking dirt balls all the way to the ceiling in two corners. The walls of the hole are nearly vertical now, and the hole is quite large around. I had no clue how busy these creatures can be! I also didn't realize they would dig to such an extent. I am glad to have been able to provide her with all the substrate, but I am a little worried about how steep this is.

Is it normal for this species to dig so much/deep? Should I do something different? I feel bad about the tp tube... I wasn't expecting to have so much structural change and thought I could just easily replace it with cork when I get more. But she has filled up the burrow underneath it and I worry about collapsing her hole when I do...

Any advice, tips, gold stars, welcome's, or hate mail will be welcomed. I may post some photos of the rest of the crew later on if anyone is interested.

I will add some photos and link a couple of videos of her digging last night, and this morning.

I have since moved that aquarium plant out of the hole. I saw her try to climb it and fall so I yoinked it. She was mad. Also, My (allegedly) B. Smithi sling comes out of its hide for a moment toward the end (top right) in the morning video.

Attachments

• 20201102_105925.jpg
    20201102_105925.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 20201103_101922_resized.jpg
    20201103_101922_resized.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
It all seems good.Slings dig a lot.Its in their nature to try and stay hidden till they put some size.
You can safely do enclosure modifications if needed by catching her in a vial and taking her out.Slings are quick to settle in after a rehouse or enclosure modifications so no worries about it.
Next time you setup enclosures have in mind to leave room for excess dirt from burrow construction so it is not going to the top.No biggie tho can get a spoon and take some dirt out
Regards Konstantin

ASherpa

Awesome -- Thanks! I do plan to cup her when I make the changes. She's got quite the attitude it seems and I won't be taking any chances of a mad dash for the exit or a stroll up the tongs!

I really hope she starts trying to dig horizontally... she wont make much progress in the vertical direction anymore and I would hate for her to be unsatisfied with her progress. So fascinating to watch!

Latest posts