• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

learned something new W/new b smithi

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Learned a couple things about my new B smithi, she doesn’t like reading lights and she doesn’t lay down a mat for dinner out side the cave.
“She’s “ only been here a week, and hasn’t covered the whole 2Gal. tank with web. This is her 2nd cricket and with the reading light, in the living room on, she didn’t want to come to the front of the tank to enter the cave. She went back and forth across the back wall. Even when she found the rear of the cave didn’t enter until the lights went out and could enter in the front side. Where she has put down web, and puts down more web when she enters.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=iceKcn9fuGo

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Sorry , thought I did. Guess not.
As far as the name, I looked at the comparisons, I just can't see it. Too old and too new I guess. I'm amazed with a fuzzy vid like that anyone could see the difference. But yes it is the hollywood version T. I would like to see a side by side good comparison, so I also pick out the differences.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Just an update, she ate 5 meal worms and 6 crickets in two weeks. I thought she was done eating, but grabbed a meal worm tonight. My other red knee wouldn't touch a meal worm if it wasn't moving. This one can find them even if they appear to be dead.

TheVez2

3 Year Member
As far as the name, I looked at the comparisons, I just can't see it.]
There was a recent revision to the World Spider Catalog and a reclassification to the B. smithi. What was in the hobby and sold to pet stores as B. smithi is actually B. hamorii. What used to be called B. annitha is the real B. smithi. Searching the internet for pictures of a B. smithi is going to be a mess for eons, because you will find both species. Pet stores and zoos and stuff are going to have them labeled wrong for a long time too.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
I looked up annitha and am sort of convinced, I have two hamorii's. I see a river basin divides the two species. I did read a paper written before the change that said DNA testing is the real only way to tell. Not sure about the stripes on the legs, this hamorii has stripes, just not as defined. The carapace on my harmonii is different, from the annitha. IMG_6627.jpg0411_b_annitha.jpgScreen Shot 2018-02-01 at 10.11.05 AM.pngIMG_6631.jpg
My little Anna II looks like she's ready to pop, I can't believe she's still eating.

Latest posts