• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lasiodora parahybana

Tarantulabas1993

Hello,

I've heard and read online that owners feed their larger tarantulas mice? I've always fed mine crickets and or roaches but was just curious. Are mice safe to feed to tarantulas? I've also heard of hoppers or super small mice that dont pose too much of a threat. Just afraid of scratching and biting though.....can anyone help me? My Lasiodora parahybana is 6 inches.

Attachments

• 20200411_200439.jpg
    20200411_200439.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13

SpiderMike

3 Year Member
More recently there's also been growing discussion about the likelihood that T's eating mice gives them a much larger dose of calcium than they really should get (as they only very occasionally take mice in their natural environment) and that too much of this could (not 100% proven) interfere with the molting process and raise the risk of getting stuck mid way through.

Soulman

Hello,

I've heard and read online that owners feed their larger tarantulas mice? I've always fed mine crickets and or roaches but was just curious. Are mice safe to feed to tarantulas? I've also heard of hoppers or super small mice that dont pose too much of a threat. Just afraid of scratching and biting though.....can anyone help me? My Lasiodora parahybana is 6 inches.
Are you thinking of feeding dead mice,if not why take the risk,I suppose the bigger the spider the bigger the mice,and a nice can do a lot of damage to a spider.it's a same with snakes.feed dead.And dead mice smell bad.so with the heat ect lovely.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So it's safe? What size mouse would you recommend? She is 6 inches and she has super large fangs lol
A dead one...prekill it or purchase a prekilled frozen mouse from a reptile shop. One bad bite from that mouse and your spider can bleed out. Ive personally seen it. Small house Lizards are probably a better meal. Honestly Lasiodoras dont get big enough to have problems eating insects. I've got some huge Lps and they love all types of insects and worms. Hissing ****roaches are their favorites...its like eating 20 crickets.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
More recently there's also been growing discussion about the likelihood that T's eating mice gives them a much larger dose of calcium than they really should get (as they only very occasionally take mice in their natural environment) and that too much of this could (not 100% proven) interfere with the molting process and raise the risk of getting stuck mid way through.
Total myth and a bad hobby rumor.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
In the wild large tarantulas are opportunistic and will eat whatever they can catch, including small rodents, lizards, snakes etc They don't call them birdeaters for nothing, that name famously came about from I believe an Avic being spotted eating a small bird.

A lot of keepers as Arachnoclown shows above, periodically will feed a small rodent or lizard. I've also heard of keepers feeding small cubes of raw beef a couple of times a year to supplement their normal diet. I imagine they'd wiggle it about a bit to stimulate the feeding response lol.

When my LP gets big in the future I can't see me feeding mice though. I haven't got anything against it, I just personally get creeped out seeing an invertebrate munching on a vertebrate! Lol

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think they are but I'm sure I remember being told that they aren't nutritious enough to be the staple /sole diet. Check it out though cos I may be wrong about that! Lol
No idea. I'm sure you could gut load them.
Perhaps hissing ****roaches?

Latest posts