• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

US Large CA Trapdoor

BoognishVet

I'm at 6300 feet in the Sierra Nevada's and I found a real nice one hanging out on my floor after a heavy rain storm. What is the going value on one these beauties? Body is about 1.25, around 2.25 total. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm at 6300 feet in the Sierra Nevada's and I found a real nice one hanging out on my floor after a heavy rain storm. What is the going value on one these beauties? Body is about 1.25, around 2.25 total. Thanks for any advice in advance!

It would be nice to see a pic of the spider. :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I kinda agree about turning the creature loose where you got it but in my honest opinion (and i try not to be so brutal, lol but I'ma speak it how i feel it) there are a lot of folks that catch insects/arachnids locally and turn around to try and profit from them. Some folks do this for a living to try and make ends meet. I have seen several posts for creatures other than tarantulas such as centipedes, mantises*, true spiders such as widows, wolf spiders and jumping spiders (to name a few) and other creepy crawly's, as well. I feel that the spider should be returned back to it's proper home just because it's the "right" thing to do but if that's the case, I should feel that way about my tarantulas, scorpions and other critters as well. If I have to elaborate on what I just said then I will gladly do so but we have a very smart group of individuals here and I am certain I wouldn't have to entertain that conversation.....but I am up for the challenge.

In other words: "the pot can't call the kettle black" and "he without spiders may cast the first stone" (this does not exclude you pede, scorpion, mantis lovers, etc., lol......)

Anyway....i have said my "peace", lol and this in no way constitutes myself attacking any individual directly or indirectly. I love all you guys and you should behave (not that you're gonna listen to me, lol but it was worth a shot and I will tell momma @Enn49 on you if you are bad, lol)....i just don't wanna see this thread trolled like another AB thread over a simple question about monetary value on a spider and the adverse effect would be the same as it always has been on AB- driving another hobbyist away. I do respect EVERYONE's opinion as we are all entitled to them...

Thank you guys for listening and hope i didn't offend anyone..... (but if i did you know i really don't give a sh*t, right? He he he- I'm just kidding....you guys know i love ya!)

Last edited:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I still wanna see pics....lol. I am curious.... :)

awareman

3 Year Member
I too have spiders, and I realize all captive bred spiders and critters were taken from the wild at some point, but if everyone took animals from their natural habitat to turn a profit than how long would that animal last? I am not shaming anyone for doing so, it's just not how I prefer to handle things.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I too have spiders, and I realize all captive bred spiders and critters were taken from the wild at some point, but if everyone took animals from their natural habitat to turn a profit than how long would that animal last? I am not shaming anyone for doing so, it's just not how I prefer to handle things.

I agree with you. There are so many creatures that are field collected and along with the destruction of their habitat it doesn't help but just one or two spiders or maybe even a few won't change much. Habitat destruction would be my main concern. It is best to bring them into captivity and try to reproduce them.....

awareman

3 Year Member
I agree with you. There are so many creatures that are field collected and along with the destruction of their habitat it doesn't help but just one or two spiders or maybe even a few won't change much. Habitat destruction would be my main concern. It is best to bring them into captivity and try to reproduce them.....

Habitat destruction is definitely the worst when it comes to loss of biodiversity. So I definitely agree that captive breeding is often benefical. Ex) I'm also a CP grower and it's crazy that the majority of flytraps are now exclusively cultivated in captivity. Less than 5% of flytraps are still present in the wild due to habitat loss :/

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Habitat destruction is definitely the worst when it comes to loss of biodiversity. So I definitely agree that captive breeding is often benefical. Ex) I'm also a CP grower and it's crazy that the majority of flytraps are now exclusively cultivated in captivity. Less than 5% of flytraps are still present in the wild due to habitat loss :/

Thats sad. I am unsure of which ones you grow but i have had a difficult time keeping ones i purchase from plant nurserys or stores. I really like them and most carnivorous plants. They fascinate me. :)