• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

L p

Steve b

I just got myself a l p salmon pink juvenile. Rehoused him . He feed twice then shut up shop in some tree bark . His water is full should I stop trying to feed him as he may be trying to molt ???

E

ExMember

I usually feed my tarantulas until they get in a habit of turning down food repeatedly or just seal up the burrow. My Eupalaestrus campestratus went on an almost 6 month fast so I stopped feeding it after about 2 months of it not eating. And my B klaasi has plugged it's burrow since November so I stopped then too.

Steve b

It's a bit of a thing lol . I just got him or her. So hes has gone from a take away box to a football stadium and may be he overwhelmed by it . I will see how he goes . Thanks again for you advice

Steve b

Hi all. Could anyone explain what power feeding is . I have a young salmon pink. Hes or she is about 2and a half inches big . And I have just moved him into a 30 x 30 tank so hes going to be in there for a while . So I think the tank is good he feeds well and I'm hoping he will get big . So any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200202_141731.jpg
    20200202_141731.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Power feeding is basically just overfeeding to make the T grow more quickly but it's not good for the T as it can cause problems with moulting etc.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks . If been feeding him every other day with crickets small to medium. He takes them no problem so I will just carry on like I am . Thanks

So you've been powerfeeding it without even knowing! Twice a week is ample at that size.

E

ExMember

Powerfeeding is a throwback term used with reptiles. From what I understand it doesn't really work on tarantulas. Reason being that they only eat so much before they molt. The end result is usually a LONG fast as they no longer need food to complete the molting process.

2 examples:

My T albopilosum was fed every three days for a month. He burrowed for 2 months and sealed everything off. Went in at about 2/3" and came out at least 1.5". I think he ate enough for 2 molt cycles. At this age power feeding was somewhat useless as he was growing like a weed anyway.

My E campestratus got fed every 3 days for about a month. Started refusing food in August. I thought a molt was just around the corner. Boy was I wrong! She finally molted at the end of December and had a sketchy molt. Ate her first meal in January. This is a 1/2" sling that went 5 and a half months with no food. This species is very slow growing and all the power feeding did was cause a long fast.

Your bird eater should be growing like a weed anyway. I personally feed my small juvies once a week.

The other thing about overfeeding is this: adults and larger spiders can get abdomen injuries if overfed. These occur usually on the underside of the abdomen due to "dragging" injuries.

Sorry for the long winded reply. Just thought I would share what I know being active in both reptile and tarantula keeping.

Cheers!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
It depends on the species too + the individual t. My t albo's (1.5" approx) were fed 2x a week, grow pretty well and 2 of them fasted 1 week before moulting. But my LP sling won't usually feed 2x a week. Every 7-10 days for it yet doesn't fast longer than a week or 2.
Then you have the Brachy slings - auratum + smithi. Weekly feeds and hella long fasts.

E

ExMember

It depends on the species too + the individual t. My t albo's (1.5" approx) were fed 2x a week, grow pretty well and 2 of them fasted 1 week before moulting. But my LP sling won't usually feed 2x a week. Every 7-10 days for it yet doesn't fast longer than a week or 2.
Then you have the Brachy slings - auratum + smithi. Weekly feeds and hella long fasts.

I'll second that :) My klaasi molted in November and immediately drained it's water dish, plugged up it's hide and hasn't been seen since. And my hamorii sling burrowed for 2 months and then molted. Hasn't come out yet and hasn't eaten (or drank?) for another 2 months. It is still moving around down there though. :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I'll second that :) My klaasi molted in November and immediately drained it's water dish, plugged up it's hide and hasn't been seen since. And my hamorii sling burrowed for 2 months and then molted. Hasn't come out yet and hasn't eaten (or drank?) for another 2 months. It is still moving around down there though. :)

I literally cheered seeing my smithi eat, as it was weeks after it moulted (it had a long fast before). It's a tiny sling too, like a microdot. Wasn't much of a size increase either. Seems healthy enough, and pretty speedy when it wants to be too lol

Steve b

Powerfeeding is a throwback term used with reptiles. From what I understand it doesn't really work on tarantulas. Reason being that they only eat so much before they molt. The end result is usually a LONG fast as they no longer need food to complete the molting process.

2 examples:

My T albopilosum was fed every three days for a month. He burrowed for 2 months and sealed everything off. Went in at about 2/3" and came out at least 1.5". I think he ate enough for 2 molt cycles. At this age power feeding was somewhat useless as he was growing like a weed anyway.

My E campestratus got fed every 3 days for about a month. Started refusing food in August. I thought a molt was just around the corner. Boy was I wrong! She finally molted at the end of December and had a sketchy molt. Ate her first meal in January. This is a 1/2" sling that went 5 and a half months with no food. This species is very slow growing and all the power feeding did was cause a long fast.

Your bird eater should be growing like a weed anyway. I personally feed my small juvies once a week.

The other thing about overfeeding is this: adults and larger spiders can get abdomen injuries if overfed. These occur usually on the underside of the abdomen due to "dragging" injuries.

Sorry for the long winded reply. Just thought I would share what I know being active in both reptile and tarantula keeping.

Cheers!
[/QUOTE

Steve b

Hi thanks for the advice. I have 4 ts now have had 3 of the for a year or so . They have melted and are doi g well . I'm going too stick by what I did with these guys . Feed them once a week on saterday morning. Thanks again .

Latest posts