• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping millipedes, isopods, and roaches together?

Balfouriboi

3 Year Member
I am planning on keeping some sort of millipede and I was wondering if I could keep them with hissing roaches and isopods was possible without one species killing or causing major stress to the others.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't see that that would be a problem - provided that they were housed in a suitable sized enclosure and the isopods in particular were kept in check - they seem to do really well in millipede enclosures and you may end up with a population explosion :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hissing ****roach males are territorial amongst other males roaches. I would think a intruder in their area would get the same treatment.
I've never kept more than one male in a very small group of roaches so thanks for that.. Never had much trouble with females though :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've never kept more than one male in a very small group of roaches so thanks for that.. Never had much trouble with females though :)
I've got a huge hisser colony...they are constantly fighting, sometimes to the death. I can constantly hear hissing in the room. I always kill off the larger males to my spiders. Gotta keep a few to keep the colony going though.

thebookman10

I've got a huge hisser colony...they are constantly fighting, sometimes to the death. I can constantly hear hissing in the room. I always kill off the larger males to my spiders. Gotta keep a few to keep the colony going though.

Apparently according to a documentary I watched there are 20 species of almost indistinguishable giant hissers kept and sold in captivity. The main difference in some of them is how the males treat each other. The colony I bough has males which just ignore each other, and I have almost never heard mine hiss apart from when I disturb them.

Jacqueline King

I have heard that isopods are harmless for millipedes and roaches, and can actually be beneficial as they maintain cleanliness in the enclosure. However! I've also heard that they commonly eat milli eggs & roach nymphs, so if you're intending to breed I would recommend springtails instead.

Latest posts