• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kael's Avicularia avicularia Journal!

Avicularia Kael

Hi! I recently got an adult female Pink Toe Tarantula, she is 3.5 inches long and may still be growing.
IMG_0699.JPG

Avicularia Kael

She hasn't been too active lately. Last night she climbed on her new wood piece (that I put in when rearranging her setup). She has been there since, even now.

Avicularia Kael

She is still on the wood piece. She just moved a little higher on it. Honestly I think she is hibernating! I know Avicularia live in jungles, but this is some weird behavior! She used to be quite the active tarantula, even when not waiting for food.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She is still on the wood piece. She just moved a little higher on it. Honestly I think she is hibernating! I know Avicularia live in jungles, but this is some weird behavior! She used to be quite the active tarantula, even when not waiting for food.
I don't think that's unusual , initially she was probably investigating her surroundings, now she has eaten she will just sit conserving energy until she requires food again, it's sort of what they do! There is the possibility that something is wrong but it's not unusual behaviour at all. Just check that temperatures aren't too low and offer food once or twice a week, I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong, it's just they won't expend energy unnecessarily.

Avicularia Kael

I don't think that's unusual , initially she was probably investigating her surroundings, now she has eaten she will just sit conserving energy until she requires food again, it's sort of what they do! There is the possibility that something is wrong but it's not unusual behaviour at all. Just check that temperatures aren't too low and offer food once or twice a week, I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong, it's just they won't expend energy unnecessarily.
Thanks

Avicularia Kael

She has no cross ventilation but she is fine. Her enclosure is not humid at all it seems. I think Tom Moran (TomsBigSpiders) was right that they don't need humidity. Her ventilation comes from a screen lid. I have had her in this enclosure since I have had her and she didn't die yet.

Edit: Also for those of you who care, she ate half of a dead cricket on Thursday and ate a live one on Friday.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I've heard, 3.5" is not a full size. They get bigger. Since you like arboreals, allow me to further instigate your addiction.

Presenting C versicolor, regarded as one of the most beautiful spiders on Earth.

Advantages: not at all a mean/defensive tarantula.
Fairly affordable especially as slings.
Goes through practically a dozen color changes as it grows, starting with being bright blue!!
Makes a tube type web and usually stays there, which means you just drop feeders in. This means you can use a larger cage to begin with.
Was formerly known as Avicularia versicolor.
Fairly easy to rehouse & can be handled if you're careful.

Eccentric traits:
Needs an elevated waterdish, won't go to the ground to drink!!
Sensitive to excess humidity, dry spider. Using a humidity gauge to ensure it doesn't get above 60% is highly suggested.
Will bolt and escape from a cage that's too small or doesn't have decent hiding places.

Disadvantages:
Slings can be fragile. Conditions have to be kept on point.
Is a bit of a spaz. The great leap of faith occurs to those who handle it or allow it to wander around.
Tends to go up whenever it gets out. Gotta hold the enclosure sideways or upside down to get it back inside.
Sexed females can be pricey but slings are pretty reasonable.
Will set you up to get lots of other arboreal tarantulas!!
May leave you thinking other tarantulas are plain looking.
Will force you to buy more storage space for photos and videos....lots of it.

C versicolor Charles wineglass dish 1.jpg
C versicolor Charles on decor 3.jpg
C Versicolor Charles looking handsome 3.jpg
C Versicolor Charles stump 5.jpg
C versicolor molt 2-18-18 2.jpg
Versicolor Charlotte newest molt.jpg
Versicolor 2molt6.jpg

I now suspect he's male but haven't confirmed the sex. Both sexes are gorgeous and pretty similar.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok. Btw it's not that good. People say they need cross ventilation but mine doesn't seem to mind that it doesn't. I'll get the pics later.

As long as the ventilation is very good, you don't specifically need cross ventilation. An ExoTerra nano isn't technically cross ventilated but the circulation is probably better then 95% of the cages out there. A 2 gallon Terra Blue professional enclosure vertical style will be just fine for ventilation as well.

If you DO encounter excess humidity by say spilling water in the cage, you can use a small fan to gently blow on the cage to dry it out instead of removing the tarantula and allowing the cage to dry for 24 hours.

Remember, they live in tall trees high up from the ground in their native habitat.

Last edited:

Latest posts