• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just freed my handful of feeder crickets

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
For about four months I have been keeping a handful of crickets as feeders to cutback my visits to the pet store. All has been fine until about a four days ago when one of my 10 or so crickets started chirping. A lot. With no easy way for me to identify the nuisance cricket I tossed them outside.

Not sure why the chirping now. The last time I added crickets was about a week ago, so it may have been a newbie.

x_raphael_xx

For about four months I have been keeping a handful of crickets as feeders to cutback my visits to the pet store. All has been fine until about a four days ago when one of my 10 or so crickets started chirping. A lot. With no easy way for me to identify the nuisance cricket I tossed them outside.

Not sure why the chirping now. The last time I added crickets was about a week ago, so it may have been a newbie.
I occasionally get a chirper in my box of silent crickets.
It typically always seems to be the one that escapes the beardie & hides in her enclosure for weeks.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all.
There is nothing like truly silent crickets.Do not know who comes up with those common names ;)
They all chirp once they mature and are ready to mate.
Its only the males that make the noise and those get fed first even if I rather enjoy the noise .lol
Regards Konstantin

x_raphael_xx

Hi all.
There is nothing like truly silent crickets.Do not know who comes up with those common names ;)
They all chirp once they mature and are ready to mate.
Its only the males that make the noise and those get fed first even if I rather enjoy the noise .lol
Regards Konstantin
I assumed it would be something like that, as a box of previously silent crickets would suddenly start chirping if they’d been sat around for a little longer than normal

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, I too thought it might have to do with breeding. But several were of similar size and none of my tarantulas were due for a feeding. So out they went.

Jenniferinfl

eh, I'll admit I'm that person who loves the chirping. I keep the loudest chirper as a pet until he dies of old age. I'm finally moving somewhere a bit cooler so I can get frogs and my highest requirement is one that makes a lot of noise.
My bedroom window was 10 feet from a small pond when I was growing up, it doesn't feel right to try to sleep without any bugs or amphibians singing.

x_raphael_xx

eh, I'll admit I'm that person who loves the chirping.
It doesn't really bug me, (pun unintended) cos I'm always listening to my pc with headphones.
It's more of an ongoing joke / competition between me and my partner over who can find and catch it in the beardie tank. There are lots of holes in her log, so catching them in the open is a skill.
I've just been to the pet shop to top up the cricket keeper, and I hear a quiet chirping from the tubs already :D

Jeef

3 Year Member
My bedroom window was 10 feet from a small pond when I was growing up, it doesn't feel right to try to sleep without any bugs or amphibians singing.
I had an app (that I can't remember the name of off hand) that would loop nature sounds. I used to like to mix peepers, crickets and thunderstorms to sleep to.

That aside, it is hit or miss if I get chirping crickets from my local pet store. It is always a treat when I do. Oddly enough, I never got chirpers the few times I bought them from a chain store. Then again I only bought from them a few times.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah but mine must have been a highly amorous male as he chirped on and off throughout the night.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
if you are really "bugged" by the chirping( I am one of those who is not...but don't have them) - you could raise some Turkish red runners...just Google them...it is easy to do...and definitely saves trips to pet store...and I have been told they are more nutritious ...they don't bite Ts either!

x_raphael_xx

if you are really "bugged" by the chirping( I am one of those who is not...but don't have them) - you could raise some Turkish red runners...just Google them...it is easy to do...and definitely saves trips to pet store...and I have been told they are more nutritious ...they don't bite Ts either!
I'm trying to get a dubia colony started, as my bearded dragon loves them. Only issue with feeding them to T's is they just stop still and doesn't trigger the T to attack.
I've bred my pet hissers and flat horns without even trying, but the dubias just won't get started!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
My local pet store manager said red runners are not on the list of permitted inverts in Maine, so even she can't order them. I drive near the pet store once or twice a week so getting a handful of crickets or Dubia is no problem. Plus I like looking at their reptiles/ amphibians and fish set ups.

MBullock

3 Year Member
The worst ones are gryllodes sigilatus i dont get why people say they arent loud because when a lone male gets into my kitchen it's the loudest thing in the freakin' house lol.

I have to find the cricket and evict it just ti continue working it's so distracting lol

Latest posts