• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just a brief introduction....

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Everyone!
just wanted to briefly introduce myself as ive been looking on here reading all the really useful info you guys share,
thought its about time I joined the ranks lol x;):T:
I haven't got many Ts but as you can tell brachys are my fav ;-)
my collection is growing! but I'm sure it wont be long and I will have as many beautiful ones as many of the members on here have-there so much to admire! x

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We are a very friendly bunch and always ready to answer questions, you just have to ask.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know everyone has there preferences but just wanted to get a general feeling as to which substrate is the best to use?
I bought a few different kinds to experiment with but its been hit and miss
is there anything you guys recommend in particular?:T:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use Coco Fibre for all mine. I buy the bricks, soak it then dry it out. It works well for all of them including the burrowers.
Many in the US use peat (hard to find in the UK now) or top soil (again problems in the UK with additives for plants)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks ;-) I have just taken delivery of some of that-ive tried that prorep spider life and didn't like it much at all -I don't know if anyone else has had probs with it,or its just me being fussy! ;-)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I used it for a time back when I had my first Ts but it's too coarse for slings. I still have the empty bag though, I use it to store ready to use Coco Fibre in :D

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.

There are as many opinions on substrates as there are tarantulas in the hobby.

FWIW, here's mine.

Dry terrestrial enclosures: cocofiber, sometimes with a thin layer of sand on the bottom that's not mixed into the cocofiber, but mostly cocofiber. (B hamorii & H pulchripes)

Moisture dependent or slightly moist terrestrial enclosures: 100% organic chemical free peat because it resists mold. (P sp machala & L klugi)

Dry or slightly moist arboreals that don't burrow at all: vermaculite. I also use a generously sized water dish because vermaculite will crash humidity levels to much lower then the surrounding room. I might slightly moisten it if the waterdish keeps drying out to fast. (All my pokies & C versicolor)

All moderately moist enclosures gets the same type of peat. Wet vermaculite is what I use below the peat at times but I don't mix it in at all. I then add fairly moist peat and then slightly moist peat on top. (T stirmi & H spinifer scorpions)

Jamie's terrestrial sling cages: Whatever type of substrate they provide with the cage, not sure exactly what it is. (B sabolsum slings)

Future T stirmi adult sized cage & Next P striata cage build.... I'm not telling yet!! Stay tuned to when I'm done procrastinating and have the time to build them.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum.

There are as many opinions on substrates as there are tarantulas in the hobby.

FWIW, here's mine.

Dry terrestrial enclosures: cocofiber, sometimes with a thin layer of sand on the bottom that's not mixed into the cocofiber, but mostly cocofiber. (B hamorii & H pulchripes)

Moisture dependent or slightly moist terrestrial enclosures: 100% organic chemical free peat because it resists mold. (P sp machala & L klugi)

Dry or slightly moist arboreals that don't burrow at all: vermaculite. I also use a generously sized water dish because vermaculite will crash humidity levels to much lower then the surrounding room. I might slightly moisten it if the waterdish keeps drying out to fast. (All my pokies & C versicolor)

All moderately moist enclosures gets the same type of peat. Wet vermaculite is what I use below the peat at times but I don't mix it in at all. I then add fairly moist peat and then slightly moist peat on top. (T stirmi & H spinifer scorpions)

Jamie's terrestrial sling cages: Whatever type of substrate they provide with the cage, not sure exactly what it is. (B sabolsum slings)

Future T stirmi adult sized cage & Next P striata cage build.... I'm not telling yet!! Stay tuned to when I'm done procrastinating and have the time to build them.

As I have already said, peat is very difficult to buy in the UK for conservation reasons.

Vermiculite will suck the moisture out of everything including your T unless it is kept wet at all times.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's why it's wet and underneath something else!! It keeps my C versicolor from getting exposed to excess humidity which can kill it.

The water dish is elevated so it won't dry out regardless of substrate.

If kept wet, vermaculite is an excellent way to store moisture and slowly release it.

Cocofiber can generally be substituted for peat, but one must be watchful for mold. I'm a little leery of top soil because it's not sterile and not specifically formulated for exotic pets, to scared to use it.

100% Sphagnum Peat Moss for Gardening (8 quart) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3Z5XFK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The shipping is probably highway robbery but it can be found.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thankyou! for all the warm welcome,and advice,
its certainly a topic which has divided opinions as everybody has there own choices and preference-;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's why it's wet and underneath something else!! It keeps my C versicolor from getting exposed to excess humidity which can kill it.

The water dish is elevated so it won't dry out regardless of substrate.

If kept wet, vermaculite is an excellent way to store moisture and slowly release it.

Cocofiber can generally be substituted for peat, but one must be watchful for mold. I'm a little leery of top soil because it's not sterile and not specifically formulated for exotic pets, to scared to use it.

100% Sphagnum Peat Moss for Gardening (8 quart) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3Z5XFK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The shipping is probably highway robbery but it can be found.

ilovebrachys and I are in the UK so, yes, shipping will be extortionate

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome aboard Oh Brachy Lover and future tarantula expert!! Glad to have you join our family!!! Like Brexit and Kim Kardashian, Substrate, as you know, is crazy controversial. Opinions on substrate are like butt-holes: everyone has one and no two are exactly alike!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the group....
ezgif-2-a2c3b7f727_zpscqqbxdth.gif

Latest posts