• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

June Beetles?

First post ever at this forum.

I've been raising or collecting arthropods for a while.
I want your educated opinions.
Those who use wild caught feeders, in particular June Bugs or beetles.
I'm raising two treasured Mexican Red Knees....my favorite. Close to thirty years young.
I like to offer variety when available.
Hoppers or whatever. The season is still open on June Bugs we call them here. I see they like my non toxic grape vineyard leaves. I've fed a few over the years to my girls. They will feed on them. Other than the potential of eating a toxic weed, can anyone suggest a reason that I shouldn't take advantage of the organic free range meat?
PS: I have a bunch of very poisonous Yew trees around my yard, but have never noticed them feeding on the evergreen needles.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I would never feed anything wild caught to my T's, for the same reason that most countries stop people from importing anything wild caught without a quarantine period & a vet check. I just do not know if it has any disease or health problems that could harm my T's in any way.

At least with captive bred foods, you should expect them to have been kept in healthy conditions.

I would never feed anything wild caught to my T's, for the same reason that most countries stop people from importing anything wild caught without a quarantine period & a vet check. I just do not know if it has any disease or health problems that could harm my T's in any way.

At least with captive bred foods, you should expect them to have been kept in healthy conditions.
Q:. I appreciate the concern for health/disease issues. Why should I expect the captive bred feed sources to be kept in healthy conditions?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Q:. I appreciate the concern for health/disease issues. Why should I expect the captive bred feed sources to be kept in healthy conditions?

As their keeper, you control their environment. You control the types of foods you raise your feeders on and how clean the environment is. They only eat what you feed them and they remain as clean as you keep their enclosure because most people raise roach colonies but others use beetle larvae, crickets, etc. :)

I agree Casey.
I've kept/raised thousands of feeders and can attest to that. It's hard unpleasant work, I have to admit. I often supplement and use the highest quality concentrated nutrient dense feeds. The little extra cost is worth it for happy healthy critters. The feed will not live long, but should enjoy their short life with that purpose in mind. I hate suffering.
My little friends I should treat with kindness too.

I just wish that my experiences with cricket wholesalers and retailers were positive.
I have lab equipment, but don't go through the trouble of testing and identifying bacterial growth and parasites. I buy crickets and usually my built in high tech equipment tells me there's a high level of bacteria present on the bugs. You have that equipment too. Eyes and a nose. It doesn't matter if its from Cricket Farm, Petco, (refuse to buy from the Exotic Jungle), or wherever. Often they smell bad. They sometimes start eating each other before I get home. Their lives are shorter than they should be. I am concerned for my girls. That's why I give the feeders fresh feed, not just for gut fill, but to clean them out.

I think we're on the same page Casey.
I think that we care about our little girls and boys. Unfortunately, it seems like most of the commercial providers are just interested in the bottom line.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree Casey.
I've kept/raised thousands of feeders and can attest to that. It's hard unpleasant work, I have to admit. I often supplement and use the highest quality concentrated nutrient dense feeds. The little extra cost is worth it for happy healthy critters. The feed will not live long, but should enjoy their short life with that purpose in mind. I hate suffering.
My little friends I should treat with kindness too.

I just wish that my experiences with cricket wholesalers and retailers were positive.
I have lab equipment, but don't go through the trouble of testing and identifying bacterial growth and parasites. I buy crickets and usually my built in high tech equipment tells me there's a high level of bacteria present on the bugs. You have that equipment too. Eyes and a nose. It doesn't matter if its from Cricket Farm, Petco, (refuse to buy from the Exotic Jungle), or wherever. Often they smell bad. They sometimes start eating each other before I get home. Their lives are shorter than they should be. I am concerned for my girls. That's why I give the feeders fresh feed, not just for gut fill, but to clean them out.

I think we're on the same page Casey.
I think that we care about our little girls and boys. Unfortunately, it seems like most of the commercial providers are just interested in the bottom line.

I think most folks use roaches as feeders more-so than other insects. They live longer and in my honest opinion they don't smell as bad.

Yes, thats true. when you have a good source and have them available they have a higher protein analysis. My only local source sells them for around a buck a piece. Most that are boxed for sale are dead. Then I'm allergic.
I used to correct the problem of all feeders by raising my own. Rodents, giant hissing ****roaches...
There's too many big priorities right now, so its unfortunately not an option.
That's why June bugs look so appealing.
The ones that I see aren't sprayed and eat some of the same food from my yard that I do. Wild greens, garden. I never offer anything that is typically considered a high parasite bug. I think wild or domestic will have internal parasites though.
I like your recommendation of some quarantine time. Examine the food for mites, and vigour,...

Casey,

I noticed that you sell tarantulas.
It's good to see that!
I've recommended to new hobbyist to purchase exotics directly from breeders and smaller businesses like you.
Why?
It's like night and day. The wholesalers and too many pet stores don't take as much interest in their livestock as someone like you who obviously is into this in a big way. You seem like someone who educates her customers and wants your collection to go to responsible owners. For years I learned the hard way, much through trial and error.
I have high regards for good people in this field. They tend to be the special minority.

Thanks for sharing your valuable opinions with me. I'm new to this forum, so its good to hear from a smart gal that's into unique pets.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Casey,

I noticed that you sell tarantulas.
It's good to see that!
I've recommended to new hobbyist to purchase exotics directly from breeders and smaller businesses like you.
Why?
It's like night and day. The wholesalers and too many pet stores don't take as much interest in their livestock as someone like you who obviously is into this in a big way. You seem like someone who educates her customers and wants your collection to go to responsible owners. For years I learned the hard way, much through trial and error.
I have high regards for good people in this field. They tend to be the special minority.

Thanks for sharing your valuable opinions with me. I'm new to this forum, so its good to hear from a smart gal that's into unique pets.

Yes, I do sell them. There are certain one's I sell....others, I keep (legality reasons). I buy, trade, sell, etc. I was a hobbyist for 8 years before getting into the business end of it. I have 14 years experience but I am learning every day. There are so many things I don't know that I'm interested in learning. I like to share that knowledge with others so that we can grow together in this hobby. It takes time and patience but it's worth the while through and through! I do care about my animals and I expect others that purchase from me to do the same. I hold myself to a certain standard. I value my integrity and business ethic and I strive to make my fellow hobbyists, friends and customers value the same as much as I do. :) You are quite welcome and thank you for giving me the chance to educate you. Who knows? Perhaps I will need you to educate me someday. :) Oh, this is more of a side thing with me....not exactly a business anymore.

On a side note: are you ex military? Your name kinda hints something similar to it, lol. Forgive me if I may be too blunt in asking.....I am blunt, though and once you get to know me here on this forum, you will see it, too. :)

Last edited:
No worries Casey. I'm happy to answer.
Am I ex military?

Something like that.
It would take a little bit of time to get into my personal history. Maybe off of the forum.
I had a school that trained both US military and the private sector. My students acquired unique skill sets that would provide them a significant advantage over their enemies with small weapons and hand to hand combat. My students included everyone from women who wanted me to empower them to special forces.
This is Lucy Liu, who wasn't my student, but was quick to pull up for you as a brief example. This short segment is just from a movie, however it is a realistic sample of what a determined petite woman can achieve in reality.

Latest posts