• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jamie's enclosure aboreal

MICHAEL BIRCH

3 Year Member
I was wondering if someone on here might have one of the juvenile aboreal enclosures from Jamie's enclosures set up so I can see it?!

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
While her stuff is nice (I got one with a sling a while back), though you would save a lot by just using some disposable food storage bowls, or clear deli cups. Your sling will not be in it for long.
I will track down some photos of it. I housed my P muticus in it for a short time, the height was great for burrowing.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
20140220_193215.jpg
20140220_192902.jpg

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I had one of these but found that they were extremely inconvenient to get in and out of. Especially with an Avic webbing it up all the time and then I'd be destroying it'd webbing. They are well made, I just didn't find them as efficient as enclosures I've made myself.

MICHAEL BIRCH

3 Year Member
I was curious, because on her site they are side vented and the way its layed out, I couldn't tell what was supposed to be the top from the bottom. I have 2 of her juvenile terrestrial cages and they work great! I was asking about the aboreal set ups because I was thinking of adding a gooty saphire to my collection!

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I had one of these but found that they were extremely inconvenient to get in and out of. Especially with an Avic webbing it up all the time and then I'd be destroying it'd webbing. They are well made, I just didn't find them as efficient as enclosures I've made myself.
I stopped using them as well- waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to hard to open and close and terrible for my avics

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was curious, because on her site they are side vented and the way its layed out, I couldn't tell what was supposed to be the top from the bottom. I have 2 of her juvenile terrestrial cages and they work great! I was asking about the aboreal set ups because I was thinking of adding a gooty saphire to my collection!
You can do it either way. After a discussion in the A. versicolor thread i had i put the "lid" on the bottom and put the substrate in that and the water dish. Then i hot glued a dowel from on bottom corner of the larger part of the enclosure to the opposite top corner and glued fake leaves to it for anchor points. Then you don't destroy any of the web,when you remove the bottom. Feeding was a pain though, you'd have to tip it upside down then drop the food in, and hope it wouldn't fall back to the bottom when you closed it up.

My versicolor won't eat anything on the bottom, lazy wench has to have the food go by her. And if it's running like the lateralis do she won't go for it. She's become the most frustrating T i have now lol.

MICHAEL BIRCH

3 Year Member
Okay, another question! I just got my copy of The Tarantula Keepers Guide and they sudgest against letting T's burrow like my G. Pulchripes unless they natuarlly live in a burrow through out their life! Opinions?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think u should set the enclosure up the way the spider wants. If it likes to burrow allow alot of sub. That was one thing i read in there about if u want to see it dont give it the option to burrow. I disagree that will just let to a stress tarantula. Start a burrow at the edge with a hid over it, with any luck the spider will burrow along the side and u can still check it out even when it digs.

MICHAEL BIRCH

3 Year Member
My sling already has a burrow and he blocked it off. I believe it's in premolt due to it's entire body getting considerably darker just recently.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've removed everything but the water dish from some of my sling's enclosures (B. albo's damn them :)) as they just bury it all, including the water dish. Last rehouses I did due to mold and mites i just put in the water dish and used my finger to start a burrow in the moist substrate. Within 90 minutes of being in his new home my little sling had tunneled under and was sitting in the bottom corner of the enclosure like he always does.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Latest posts