• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Issues with raising Slings

Bazaar

I'm curious to learn your gripes about hatching and then raising slings. I've seen photos of people's setup with hundreds of vials. I can guess opening each one, feeding, misting, etc each day?

I think there's a certain therapeutic joy from hours of giving the newborn Ts a parental attention.

Best containers? Vials? Sauce cups?
Misting? Droplet of water?
Prekill (spoil them)? Pinhead crickets (let nature take its course)?
Heard feeding daily? Twice a week? As much as they can?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I dont have any issues raising slings. At any given time I could have 100s to 1000s. Slings are simple to raise. They don't need to eat everyday or even once a week. Ive skipped feedings up to two weeks without problems. Water is still the most important thing with slings. Misting is a waste of time and the spiders freak out when you spray. I soak down moss in each enclosure for them to drink from. 1oz condiment cups are perfect...the spider can stay in these for many molts till around 1". For the first few feedings all prey is prekilled "frozen".
All in all its not for everyone...just read the thread titles. It sounds simple and easy. Many struggle and overthink just one tiny spider. Imagine feeding 1000s ,not counting the hundreds of juvenile and adult spiders you have also.
20200627_142602.jpg
20200922_165924.jpg
20180316_151648.jpg
20180317_093916.jpg

Last edited:

MBullock

3 Year Member
I dont have any issues raising slings. At any given time I could have 100s to 1000s. Slings are simple to raise. They don't need to eat everyday or even once a week. Ive skipped feedings up to two weeks without problems. Water is still the most important thing with slings. Misting is a waste of time and the spiders freak out when you spray. I soak down moss in each enclosure for them to drink from. 1oz condiment cups are perfect...the spider can stay in these for many molts till around 1". For the first few feedings all prey is prekilled "frozen".
All in all its not for everyone...just read the thread titles. It sounds simple and easy. Many struggle and overthink just one tiny spider. Imagine feeding 1000s ,not counting the hundreds of juvenile and adult spiders you have also.View attachment 50653View attachment 50654View attachment 50651View attachment 50652
i like to freeze mini mealworms and use as needed, they generally will eat dead prey as long as it's fresh

MBullock

3 Year Member
How long can you freeze mealworms? I read the freezing is just to slow them down, not for long period and then use?
til theyre frozen solid, i just drop them in and replace them if they mold. they dont need it to be alive and kicking, but it does make them bite it faster.

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Way ta lay it down Arachnoclown.
Keep it si
All in all its not for everyone...just read the thread titles. It sounds simple and easy. Many struggle and overthink just one tiny spider. Imagine feeding 1000s ,not counting the hundreds of juvenile and adult spiders you have also.View attachment 50653View attachment 50654View attachment 50651View attachment 50652
Way ta lay it man. Keepin it simple. Thank you.

Latest posts