• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this normal??? (Pink Toe T)

ItsJustDan

Not too long ago I bought a Pink toe T from a nearby pet store (Ik gross a pet store) but I decided to give it a shot, it's such a crazy pet to have. Anyways, I've done a lot of research here and there, watched youtube videos from food to handling.

But I keep noticing my PinkToe not moving much, very slow movements even when I touch him/her. Sometimes it'll look to be in a very uncomfortable position and just stay there for a long time (Like face down on the dirt onto the glass on an upright position) My guess would be Premolt? Maybe? Sleeping??? Do T's even sleep????

I can even poke his/her legs and won't move...I hope its nothing bad.

Heres a small vid<----

Attachments

• 20191229_191054.jpg
    20191229_191054.jpg
    728.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How long have you had it? Ts can take a long time to settle in and it’s best not to disturb them at all. Something like an Avic relies on its web tubes for cover and comfort.
If you suspect premolt then it’s even more reason not to handle or disturb it.

I would suggest maybe getting something softer than a mascara brush to push it around. I don’t think it’s too happy with that.

It’s another handling thing aswell. Some people are for it. Some against but Imo if you want a pet you can pick up then this isn’t the hobby to do it in. Not all pets like to be touched.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Let's see your enclosure....pinktoe behavior often reflects their environment.

As for sleeping, they dont. Much is unknown what they actually do. They dont have eyelids to close like most animals. They are wired much different then us. They have periods of rest...sometimes long periods.

ItsJustDan

How long have you had it? Ts can take a long time to settle in and it’s best not to disturb them at all. Something like an Avic relies on its web tubes for cover and comfort.
If you suspect premolt then it’s even more reason not to handle or disturb it.

I would suggest maybe getting something softer than a mascara brush to push it around. I don’t think it’s too happy with that.

It’s another handling thing aswell. Some people are for it. Some against but Imo if you want a pet you can pick up then this isn’t the hobby to do it in. Not all pets like to be touched.
I've had it for a week now, it was always on the glass.

lol, The mascara brush was the quickest thing I could get my hands on. But I'll find a better brush, Thanks for the tip.

ItsJustDan

Let's see your enclosure....pinktoe behavior often reflects their environment.

As for sleeping, they dont. Much is unknown what they actually do. They dont have eyelids to close like most animals. They are wired much different then us. They have periods of rest...sometimes long periods.
No eyelids, no mascara brush needed gotcha!

Here's my enclosure, I would really want to buy an artificial tree instead of that floppy plant.

Attachments

• 20200101_170124.jpg
    20200101_170124.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
  • 20200101_170157.jpg
    20200101_170157.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 117

ItsJustDan

Even if you’re a handler I’d say give it some time to settle in and chill for a while before handling it more. If in premolt I’d say def let it chill until it molts.

It can take more than a month easy to settle in. Good luck!
Good to know, I'll hold off on handling it. Thanks for the tip :D

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good to see pics of your enclosure... As they are an arborial species some Cork bark or a Cork tube would be a good addition instead of the log you have on the floor in there at the moment... It will provide a good hide and will help it to settle in a lot better :)

ItsJustDan

Good to see pics of your enclosure... As they are an arborial species some Cork bark or a Cork tube would be a good addition instead of the log you have on the floor in there at the moment... It will provide a good hide and will help it to settle in a lot better :)
Awesome! I'll buy that asap! Thanks!

Sazzy

3 Year Member
I agree with all the above posters, it's important to have a good amount of leafy, brush-like things surrounding a very solid climbing accessory for this spider. I would actually recommend looking at a local pet store in the reptile area for an "arboreal kit". I've seen bundles that come with substrate or carpeting, decorative leaves that are safe for vivaria, branches and cork bark, etc. Just remember to stay conscious of the type of substrate, as you don't want to irritate the spider's book lungs. Just because this species spends most of its time in the trees, dust and dirt particles can still be detremental to it's overall health.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A cork bark surrounded by cover is good for them but I wouldn’t recommend buying a “kit” from any pet store or seller. You’ll pay through the nose for items you can get very cheaply elsewhere. Just a simple cork tube or even just a flat piece and coco fibre and your set. For a water dish just a bottle cap or a jar lid is easy enough to get and free.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Until you get a good piece of cork bark tube, you could even place the wood hide you have now vertically, buried in the substrate a bit, with the hollow side leaning against the enclosure wall for stability. Position your foliage to cover and overhang the top (see Arachnoclowns photos), which helps your t feel secure. It's a short term temporary measure as I dont feel your current hide has enough height for the enclosure it's in.

ItsJustDan

Until you get a good piece of cork bark tube, you could even place the wood hide you have now vertically, buried in the substrate a bit, with the hollow side leaning against the enclosure wall for stability. Position your foliage to cover and overhang the top (see Arachnoclowns photos), which helps your t feel secure. It's a short term temporary measure as I don't feel your current hide has enough height for the enclosure it's in.
Thanks! I've been thinking of doing just that, Not too sure if the T would use it though. She/He still hasn't moved from that one corner I offered a cricket and it didn't even seem interested.

As for the heat lamp on top, do I really need that? I haven't been using it ever since I got it.

Attachments

• 20200102_215235.jpg
    20200102_215235.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 20200102_215258.jpg
    20200102_215258.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks! I've been thinking of doing just that, Not too sure if the T would use it though. She/He still hasn't moved from that one corner I offered a cricket and it didn't even seem interested.

As for the heat lamp on top, do I really need that? I haven't been using it ever since I got it.
No you don't need the heat lamp it's dangerous for Ts and can cause dehydration and possibly resulting in the death of your T
They are comfortable at ambient room temperature no heating is required on the Ts enclosure itself
If you are worried about the temperature of the room that your T is in you can always use a space heater in the room and a thermometer to keep an eye on it

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club

Once it settles in, it will make use of a hide. Even if it doesn't though, at least you have offered one. You may find, that once you have reorganised the enclosure into a proper arboreal setup and have left your t time and space to settle in, that its behaviour will adjust.

If you can, get a taller piece of cork bark about just over 1/2 to 2/3rds the height of the enclosure. Then you can keep this one for your next terrestrial tarantula! Oh there will definitely be another...

I would definitely throw away that heat lamp. It is for reptiles, not tarantulas and could actually harm/kill your avic by overheating and dehydrating it. Not to mention that spiders abhor lights of any sort shone directly into their enclosures. Glad you've had the sense not to use it! Not everyone realises they are bad though, especially when going with bad advice from petshops...

ItsJustDan

Once it settles in, it will make use of a hide. Even if it doesn't though, at least you have offered one. You may find, that once you have reorganised the enclosure into a proper arboreal setup and have left your t time and space to settle in, that its behaviour will adjust.

If you can, get a taller piece of cork bark about just over 1/2 to 2/3rds the height of the enclosure. Then you can keep this one for your next terrestrial tarantula! Oh there will definitely be another...

I would definitely throw away that heat lamp. It is for reptiles, not tarantulas and could actually harm/kill your avic by overheating and dehydrating it. Not to mention that spiders abhor lights of any sort shone directly into their enclosures. Glad you've had the sense not to use it! Not everyone realises they are bad though, especially when going with bad advice from petshops...
Awesome! Thanks a ton, thank god I haven't been using the lamp. :D What about humidity?

ItsJustDan

No you don't need the heat lamp it's dangerous for Ts and can cause dehydration and possibly resulting in the death of your T
They are comfortable at ambient room temperature no heating is required on the Ts enclosure itself
If you are worried about the temperature of the room that your T is in you can always use a space heater in the room and a thermometer to keep an eye on it
I'll be sure to buy a thermometer to put in the enclosure! Thanks.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll be sure to buy a thermometer to put in the enclosure! Thanks.

I wouldn’t bother with putting anything in the enclosure. If your comfortable then they’ll be fine. Ignore online care sheets with humidity and temperatures, they aren’t accurate. Just a water dish will be fine for your avic.

Latest posts