• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my striped knee actually a girl?

Araksa

We unboxed her yesterday and I took these two pics. I was planning to take a better photo today, but during the night she made a burrow, so now we can see only her legs sticking out. I bought her as “medium” size female, but the website says they cannot guarantee right sex identification a 100%. It’s abdomen is rather skinny at this point, but I don’t know if it’s because T is young?

Attachments

• 6F508CCF-DB2C-4C68-80E2-6D5C32550A22.jpeg
    6F508CCF-DB2C-4C68-80E2-6D5C32550A22.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • AD787261-3594-4E2D-9D8B-22CB824F5A62.jpeg
    AD787261-3594-4E2D-9D8B-22CB824F5A62.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We unboxed her yesterday and I took these two pics. I was planning to take a better photo today, but during the night she made a burrow, so now we can see only her legs sticking out. I bought her as “medium” size female, but the website says they cannot guarantee right sex identification a 100%. It’s abdomen is rather skinny at this point, but I don’t know if it’s because T is young?
You didn't buy from backwater did you? As stated above, a ventral photo or molt are necessary, but if it was backwater that you bought from, don't be surprised if it does end up being a male.

Araksa

You didn't buy from backwater did you? As stated above, a ventral photo or molt are necessary, but if it was backwater that you bought from, don't be surprised if it does end up being a male.

Yes I did! Uh oh, I guess they have a certain reputation then...)) Well, it’s ok if it’s a boy, it’s the first tarantula I got for my 7 year old daughter. We love it!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes I did! Uh oh, I guess they have a certain reputation then...)) Well, it’s ok if it’s a boy, it’s the first tarantula I got for my 7 year old daughter. We love it!
Yes they do and it's among the worst. The fact you got what you wanted (obviously its sex is still pending) and it made it alive is a surprise, because that doesn't usually happen with them.

I do hope you end up with a female, but if you don't it sounds like he will live a good life. There are some excellent sellers here on the forum with better prices, so if you wish to get another tarantula, you will get exactly what you are looking for, some may have specimens that say suspect male or suspect female, which means it looks to be one sex or the other, but has not been confirmed via molt. Either way you'll get exactly what you are looking for and if they make a rare mistake, then they fix it.

Again here's hoping you get a female.

Araksa

Yes they do and it's among the worst. The fact you got what you wanted (obviously its sex is still pending) and it made it alive is a surprise, because that doesn't usually happen with them.

I do hope you end up with a female, but if you don't it sounds like he will live a good life

Thanks for the info! Yeah, well... the overnight shipping cost me more than the tarantula itself, and when I opened the box, the little thing just kind of slowly rolled out of the container into the prepared enclosure... but it recovered and started moving in about half an hour.

Yes, he will be great. Although if it’s a boy, my daughter already wants to get a girl to mate with him, so I had to explain to her that if we do that, he might end up dead... I’m not planning any more Ts for right now, but maybe some millipedes and stick insects.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the info! Yeah, well... the overnight shipping cost me more than the tarantula itself, and when I opened the box, the little thing just kind of slowly rolled out of the container into the prepared enclosure... but it recovered and started moving in about half an hour.

Yes, he will be great. Although if it’s a boy, my daughter already wants to get a girl to mate with him, so I had to explain to her that if we do that, he might end up dead... I’m not planning any more Ts for right now, but maybe some millipedes and stick insects.

I'll never forget the excitement of having my 1st t delivered (like you, the delivery charge cost more than the t) and how proud I was with myself for housing it!! Lol

Latest posts