1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it Safe to Feed Her Yet?

Discussion in 'General Tarantula Discussion' started by Sonicookie, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Sonicookie

Sonicookie Member

My Rose Hair molted for the first time with me recently, I believe July 3rd. I know you have to wait after molting, but for how long? There's still a little left un-darkened on her carapace. She's been going after water when I pour it.

Her abdomen is pretty small now and I know Rose Hairs can go a long time without food, but it's only natural to worry.

A few minutes ago she was very still, with her legs a little sprawled. It's probably nothing to worry about, but again, it's only natural. I would've taken a picture, but it's dark.

How do you tell if a tarantula is starving?
  2. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

If she moulted back in July she'll be ready for food by now. Have you tried feeding her yet?
    Arachnoclown and MassExodus like this.
  3. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

If it's starving the abdomen will be very small, tiny. If it is dehydrated the abdomen will be small and wrinkled. You can offer food after a few weeks with most tarantulas. Except slings. Five to seven days for them is fine. Always have fresh water in enclosures, most particularly during premolt, or after a molt. Have you tried offering food in the past two months? Usually striking at water is a feeding response. I always thought so, anyway..
    Arachnoclown and Enn49 like this.
  4. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member Premium Member 1,000+ Post Club

The fangs are suppose to darken...not the carapace. :rolleyes:
    Feed her...
    Nunua and MassExodus like this.
  5. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

I'm sure that she is ready to eat. Even my T stirmi was eating after her molt at that time frame. In fact, I recommend feeding as soon as possible.
    MassExodus likes this.
  6. Sonicookie

Sonicookie Member

Thank-you. I've heard attacking water is a feeding response too. I'd been meaning to ask if it was safe, I'll get crickets in the next few days. I refill the water dish daily.

I haven't offered food yet just in case it wasn't safe.
    MassExodus likes this.
  7. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Just to reinforce, never wait two months for any tarantula, even older giants that sometimes take a month to eat after a molt. Molting takes a heavy toll sometimes. A spider that might usually not eat for 3 weeks could need it after one week, due to a hard molting process.
    Arachnoclown likes this.
  8. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member Premium Member 1,000+ Post Club

My 10.5" stirmi waits nearly a month after molting...drives me nuts waiting that long!!!:confused:
    MassExodus likes this.
  9. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

They might eat a little bit earlier if the feeder is very soft, such as a horn worm or an earthworm. I always use an earthworm as the first post molt meal. Even though the fangs look black, it never hurts to be too careful.
    MassExodus likes this.
  10. Solsurfer

Solsurfer Member

I generally wait a week and try. T's won't eat if they're not ready to they are masters of self preservation .
    MassExodus likes this.