• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is a sling good for a beginner?

Lylelovett666

So this will be my first critter in about thirty years & the first I had was a mature spider. What are the ins & outs & difficulties of starting with a sling. Red knee is what I’m after. Thnx.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Slings are great because you get to see all the coloring and size changes, but for some species, like B. hamorii, you will have years of slow growth and possibly a pet hole. Slings are less intimidating and easier to manage transfers for new keepers, there will be many lol. Feeding can be a challenge with a tiny sling and a new keeper as food sources aren't always easy. Word to the luddite, don't buy smaller than 3/4-1" if it's your first sling.

Juveniles, sub-adults and adults are good for first time keepers as they are less fragile than slings, are already established and feeding on larger, easier to source and manage medium to large size feeders. Transfering and rehousing a larger T can be intimidating for new keepers.

There are pros and cons to each, sling and larger than sling.

Personally I prefer slings as you will have the T for a long time, in the case of B. hamorii, 20+ years if you start with a 1/2-1" sling.

There's no substitute for research!

Last edited:
I started with a 4” A. Seemani and then got a 1/2” B. Hamorii. I was super nervous due to her size but it was awesome watching her change with each molt. When she finally got her colors completely I felt super accomplished. She’s about 3” now and all over the place in her enclosure. I’ve had her about 4 years. I think as long as you’re careful with feeding making sure you don’t try to feed it anything alive that could hurt it being small it’s not a terrible idea to start off with a sling.

Lylelovett666

I started with a 4” A. Seemani and then got a 1/2” B. Hamorii. I was super nervous due to her size but it was awesome watching her change with each molt. When she finally got her colors completely I felt super accomplished. She’s about 3” now and all over the place in her enclosure. I’ve had her about 4 years. I think as long as you’re careful with feeding making sure you don’t try to feed it anything alive that could hurt it being small it’s not a terrible idea to start off with a sling.
What you feeding the 1/2?

Lylelovett666

Also what size enclosure for a sling 1-1/2?

bioteknik

Slings have always been my preference. Got this girl as a sling 20 years ago and she is still super healthy and it's been an awesome journey. The main factor for me has always been the price. Add to that the sheer joy of watching them grow - so no contest!

Attachments

• curly.JPG
    curly.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd go for a larger sling, around 1" dls, simply because feeding is less of a problem but you still get the pleasure of watching their colours develop. I'd beware of buying a sub adult or adult unless you buy from a reputable seller, there are a few who will fob you off with a male that won't last long.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Check out amac boxes at the container store.
A 3x4 (rough measurement) should suffice.
Easy to drill holes in and easy to set up for hassle-free maintenance.

These are the same containers used by places like Jamie's Tarantulas

Latest posts