• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Invertebrate Club of Southern California

Arthroverts

Hello all, I figured I should make an introductory post for this group on here like I have with other invertebrate forums. Unsure if this is allowed, but I don't think it fit into any other sub-forums, and I didn't see any rules against it (there is no money involved in becoming a member, no donations required, etc.).

Anyway, the Invertebrate Club of Southern California is, you guessed it, a club devoted to invertebrates (of all kinds) in Southern California, primarily centered in the Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, and San Diego counties, but with members in the Central Valley and elsewhere as well. We have a pretty solid community of tarantula enthusiasts, some of whom are responsible for getting me on this site ;).

I look forward to discussing all aspects of this amazing hobby further with all y'all, and I am also happy to discuss what it looks like running a club/society like this with anybody interested; the more organizations related to keeping invertebrates the better!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

They can be a bit more skittish and prone to kicking hairs as opposed to say, many Tlitocatl, but if you feel comfortable dealing with them I'd say go for it.

I will say however this isn't necessarily the place to ask that, as like as not I am the only person watching this thread. I'd suggest making your own thread in this forum to get more responses :).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

And we're back! Happy New Year everyone, the ICSC is officially two years old!

The ICSC January meeting will be on the 16th (Saturday), from 10:00-11:30 AM, via Skype. We will be discussing invertebrates (of course) and perhaps talk about guest speakers to invite for the 2021 meetings. I also hope to reveal a new club T-shirt design, if I can finish it in time...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
I look forward to discussing all aspects of this amazing hobby further with all y'all, and I am also happy to discuss what it looks like running a club/society like this with anybody interested; the more organizations related to keeping invertebrates the better!
Welcome to this forum! Hope you have a great time here :beer::beer::beer::beer:

Arthroverts

Despite my sleepiness after a crazy week, we all had a great time discussing mantids, roaches, ants, Triops, and all manner of other invertebrates (and a few vertebrates...). Though I unfortunately did not have the new T-shirt design ready in time, we did take advantage of our ability to share our collections via video: MrGhostMantis showed us his Deroplatys truncata, Hierodula membranacea, and Heterochaeta orientalis, sgvmantid showed us his two Stagmomantis limbata, and I showed some of my roaches and beetles. We also got to meet two new club members, XxSpiderQueenxX and RunDMLee, which was awesome.

All in all we had a great time, and I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Hello all, the Invertebrate Club of Southern California's February meeting will be on the 20th (Saturday), from 10:00-11:30 AM, on Skype.

Dr. Jason E. Bond, who described Cryptocteniza kawtak, worked on the 2016 Aphonopelma revision and the 2012 Aptostichus revision (along with a small host of other works), will be coming to answer questions and discuss invertebrates (if all goes according to plan)! Bring your questions and scientific names, I know I am definitely going to be asking him about what we as hobbyists can do to protect C. kawtak and other California native mygalomorphs in the wild.
Looking forward to seeing all who can make it!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Good grief! This is terrible, I forgot to do this until the 8th of March!

Anyways, the Invertebrate Club of Southern California's March meeting will be on the 20th, from 10:00-11:30 AM, via Skype. Unfortunately we are still meeting virtually, but fortunately there will be a raffle this meeting! Looking forward to seeing all who can make it (if I can figure out my camera problem with Skype that is, otherwise I'll just hear you...).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Hello all, the Invertebrate Club of Southern California's April meeting will be on the 17th (Saturday), from 10:00-11:30 AM, via Skype. We will be discussing invertebrates as per usual, and there will be another (free) raffle at this meeting.

We are also trying to organize a hike for the evening of the 18th (Sunday) in the San Gabriel Mountains at a spot along Highway 39. If interested please message me or email us through the club email address for further particulars.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Hello all, the Invertebrate Club of Southern California's May meeting will be on the 15th, from 10:00-11:30 AM, on Skype. We will be holding another raffle this meeting, and invertebrates are again the object of discussion ;D!

Also, planning a hike/collecting trip in the Riverside area for the end of this month after the fantastic trip we had in April, stay tuned for more information.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Hello everyone, the ICSC July meeting will be on the 17th, from 10:00-11:30 AM, via Skype. I will be back for this meeting after being away from the last two, and I'm excited to see everyone!

This month Dr. Philip S. Ward from UC Davis has agreed to come to the meeting to discuss ants with us! He was the one who described Camponotus us-CA01 as C. johnsonii, and has been working with Southern California ants for many years now, including the elusive pseudomyrmecines the ant keepers amongst us love so much. Bring your questions and thoughts on all things myrmecological, and don't forget your scientific names, this isn't one you'll want to miss!

Anywho, looking forward to this meeting, can't wait to see all who can make it!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Hullo everyone! The Invertebrate Club of Southern California's August meeting will be on the 21st (Saturday), from 10:00-11:30 AM, via Skype. I have a few announcements to go over but otherwise bring your scientific names and your collection updates and I’ll see you there!

Sneak peak: some hikes are being planned...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

I may have missed posting info for the September meeting, but rest assured there was no catastrophic club melt-down, ha ha.

The October meeting will be on the 16th, from 10:00-11:30 AM, on Skype. As per usual invertebrates will be discussed, and I would like to discuss the topic of next year's calendar (return to physical meetings hopefully!) and the funding of a new club website/club library as well.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

November has come! The meeting this month falls on the 20th (Saturday), from 10:00-11:30 AM, and will be held via Skype.

This month we will be joined by none other than Rus Wilson/Aquarimax of Aquarimax Pets! Rus breeds a variety of creatures and was one of the first private individuals to successfully breed, raise the larvae, and induce successful pupation in Asbolus verrucosus! Rus also makes all manner of videos regarding invertebrates, fish, plants, and reptiles on his YouTube channel, which I consider to be one of the best for general invertebrate information and discussion.

Bring your questions and your scientific names, looking forward to seeing all who can make it and for the discussion!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

This meeting was over a year in the making from when I first invited Rus of Aquarimax Pets to speak to the club to when it actually worked out, and I can say that I am very glad we were able to close out the year with him!

We discussed everything from fairy shrimp, to isopods, to how to start one's own invertebrate-focused YouTube channel, to perhaps starting a survey of Asbolus verrucosus behaviors across different populations after noting the difference in behaviors between Californian populations and those found in Arizona and Utah. All in all it was a great time and a real treat to learn from Rus's experience with a wide variety of invertebrates; personally, hopefully I can apply some of what he's learned with isopods to my own struggle with that order.

We are now on our December break, and I will be continuing to work on the calendar for next year. Already looking forward to what 2022 has for us!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Hello all, the Invertebrate Club of Southern California's January meeting will be on the 15th, from 10:00-11:30 AM, via Skype (we have six virtual and five physical meetings planned for this year).
I am very excited for this meeting as it is the 3rd anniversary celebration of the ICSC! We've come a long way since January 1st, 2019 and I can't wait to see what 2022 has in store for us.

We may have a guest speaker coming but that is not confirmed yet. I will have a few updates to go over, and since this is the first meeting of our third year be sure to bring your memories and scientific names. I'll see all y'all there!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Hello all, I'm not too late!

The Invertebrate Club of Southern California's February meeting will be on the 19th (Saturday, tomorrow), from 10:00-11:30 AM, on Skype. This month we will be joined by Steven Barney AKA Beetle-Experience, who was behind the deregulation of Goliathus a few years ago and has been keeping and breeding beetles for several decades! I am super excited to talk with him about beetles and much else besides, this isn't a meeting you'll want to miss!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Latest posts