• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Interesting Behavior of Ch. andersoni

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When one of my andersoni males matured I moved him into a large tote (23”x16”x13” or 58 cm x 41 cm x 33 cm). He made a retreat behind a piece of bark I put in there.

I also had a female, which molted 7/719. She lived in a much smaller terrarium where she had a retreat with 2 openings.

At 7/13/19 I put her terrarium minus the lid in his tote. I saw them mating several times, but was not sure if he inserted or not. When I looked again, he was in his retreat, she was not to be seen. I decided to leave them together over night.

upload_2019-9-13_12-59-8.jpeg

When I checked again, I never saw her until many days later. He was in his retreat and so was she!

upload_2019-9-13_12-59-55.jpeg

They seem to live together and did not have any issues. Today I found her wandering around and I put her back in her original enclosure. He is in his retreat.

upload_2019-9-13_13-2-11.jpeg

They lived together for exactly 2 months. I never experienced anything like this before. Thought I share it.

What do you think?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When one of my andersoni males matured I moved him into a large tote (23”x16”x13” or 58 cm x 41 cm x 33 cm). He made a retreat behind a piece of bark I put in there.

I also had a female, which molted 7/719. She lived in a much smaller terrarium where she had a retreat with 2 openings.

At 7/13/19 I put her terrarium minus the lid in his tote. I saw them mating several times, but was not sure if he inserted or not. When I looked again, he was in his retreat, she was not to be seen. I decided to leave them together over night.

View attachment 40728

When I checked again, I never saw her until many days later. He was in his retreat and so was she!

View attachment 40729

They seem to live together and did not have any issues. Today I found her wandering around and I put her back in her original enclosure. He is in his retreat.

View attachment 40730

They lived together for exactly 2 months. I never experienced anything like this before. Thought I share it.

What do you think?
This is interesting, Ive never tried to breed Ts so haven't tried to put any together but it would be great if it always worked out like this :D

AndrewClayton

View attachment 40728

View attachment 40729

View attachment 40730

What do you think?
Some species you would think can do this like those that have been successfully tolerant “communal” together, but C Andersoni aren’t communal so this is quite interesting. It would have been good to see how long it would have lasted and there behaviour towards each other and such

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some species you would think can do this like those that have been successfully tolerant “communal” together, but C Andersoni aren’t communal so this is quite interesting. It would have been good to see how long it would have lasted and there behaviour towards each other and such
I was tempted to let her in there. I agree with what you say...but I guess I did not wanted him to get hurt....may be next time!:D