• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

If yourT might possibly be molting.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So....if you wake up and find your T on its back not moving and you think there is a possibility that your T may be molting, 999/1000 times it is. Do not move it! Let nature take its course. The other possibility is a death
1AF83793-BCD5-4508-A799-26E187C4396F.jpeg
curl—which in no way looks like a molting T. Case in point. I woke up today to my 8.5 DLS T. stirmi female writhing in a very sad manner. Tonight, she passed. I caught a pic of her just after she passed. As you can see, this looks nothing like a molt. So rest assured, and pray that you will never have to deal with this. Godspeed. Big Bird. I miss you.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My apologies for your loss. I know sometimes this happens to the best of us and it's always heart breaking. On a side note; might I suggest this. Your substrate appears a bit dry for this species. Even a reservoir alone, isn't enough humidity for this species and I've heard several stories of this species having issues thriving in an environment or adapting to an environment without adequate humidity. The substrate should be damp at all times and the water dish overflowing at least once a week. Her abdomen looks quite small, too. She should be bulky and stocky for this species. It could've been an underlying health condition that you were unaware of but it also could be the environmental setup. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or bring you down as I know that you are deeply touched at the loss of your T. In the case that it "may" have been the environmental simulation then you can be prepared when/if you decide to get another one. I hope you are not offended by my advice. I am only trying to help. :)

If you decide you are ready to try another one of this beautiful species I have a 6+" female available.

Here is an idea of what your substrate should look like for this species. I keep it damp at all times with adequate ventilation to avoid mold issues and stagnant air. :)

20200705_160241.jpg

This is the substrate I use. I place some in a large zip lock bag and mix with water just until the substrate is moderately damp but not soaked. You shouldn't be able to squeeze some in your hand and wring water from it. The zip lock bag helps to retain the moisture in the substrate until you're ready to use. :)

20200705_160631.jpg
20200705_160655.jpg
20200705_160711.jpg

Last edited:

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks Casey. The substrate was wet like you demonstrate. I dunno why it looked dry on the pic, it really was ideal for a Theraposa. I could stick my finger in it, and at all levels, it would come up dirty. When you touch the substrate it was quite moist up top--spongy, humid. Once a week, I emptied a 10 ounce bottle on the substrate (coco fiber). I overfilled 2 water dishes regularly. It was moist enough that those damn Florida knats would hang out in it.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks Casey. The substrate was wet like you demonstrate. I dunno why it looked dry on the pic, it really was ideal for a Theraposa. I could stick my finger in it, and at all levels, it would come up dirty. When you touch the substrate it was quite moist up top--spongy, humid. Once a week, I emptied a 10 ounce bottle on the substrate (coco fiber). I overfilled 2 water dishes regularly. It was moist enough that those damn Florida knats would hang out in it.

Well, that sounds about right, then. I really am sorry for your loss. :( I know you are a wonderful keeper and if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. I'm always here for you. :)

Latest posts