• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

If you...

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The iconic beauty Brachypelma smithi...not hamorii. ;)
Jose Berrios photo...
received_516389729085858.jpeg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My A chalcodes, they are such a great character. When ever I take the lid of the enclosure they are up & ready to say hello, put your hand out to stop them leaving the enclosure in the wrong way & they are onto your hand. Mist the enclosure & make a noise on the plastic plants, they wack the h£ll out of the plant, in fact cause the plant to move for any other reason, or inadvertently touch them doing something & the plant gets whacked. But when it lifts it's front legs in a mock threat posture & it lowers them & walks towards you. Keep talking & gently touch it's front legs again & it's up the side & wanting to get out.

I still do not know if they are male or female, but they are one of only two T's that I have names for. The chalcodes is Hohokam as like their Sonoran desert predecessors, they know how to move substrate. And then there is Felicity, (Flick) my female T stirmi.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a 6 inch subfusca female.....I'd love a male--but chances are poor in the States. Damn shortsighted over-regulated typical US bull****.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are interesting ways around the dumb laws (Sri Lankan Pokie vulnerability is due to habitat loss--not opportunists picking up a wild specimen), but just don't get caught. The fine is hefty. An illegal shipment was tagged in Florida recently and was eventually sent to multiple zoos after an investigation. The fine was $50,000 for each spider. OUCH.

In fact, it is because of the CB hobby that these beautiful arachnids alive and well. Leave it to the Feds to screw things up. God Bless Europe, Asia, and Australia. Their laws aren't so draconian.

Latest posts