• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'd like to know more about snakes

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The past couple of weeks I've been looking into snakes, well milksnakes, other collubrids in general, and ball pythons. I have been doing my own research, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here. Anything I should know about them?

I've also been looking for reputable online sellers here in the states, but unlike the tarantula hobby, I can't find reliable sources for reviews, if I could find one, I would've bought one by this time next week at the latest.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It depends what you want from your snake. Colubrids are more active than Royal Pythons (Balls) and are much more colourful. Both are easy to care for although Royals can go on hunger strikes which can be scary if you've not kept them before.
I'm afraid I'm very out of touch nowadays with the snake world so I can't help you with US breeders.
If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to try to answer them. I used to keep and breed snakes and had many different Colubrids and quite a few Royals.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It depends what you want from your snake. Colubrids are more active than Royal Pythons (Balls) and are much more colourful. Both are easy to care for although Royals can go on hunger strikes which can be scary if you've not kept them before.
I'm afraid I'm very out of touch nowadays with the snake world so I can't help you with US breeders.
If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to try to answer them. I used to keep and breed snakes and had many different Colubrids and quite a few Royals.
I'm most interested in corn snakes and milksnakes, anything I should know about them? I did find that they tend to be skittish especially when small.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I adore Cornsnakes. Both Corns and Milks are very unlikely to bite unless it's a feeding mistake (I always used tongs for feeding) and in general are great feeders. Yes, they can be quick as youngsters but soon get used to handling and calm down. All snakes can be escapologist especially hatchlings so you need to make sure that their container is escape proof.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I adore Cornsnakes. Both Corns and Milks are very unlikely to bite unless it's a feeding mistake (I always used tongs for feeding) and in general are great feeders. Yes, they can be quick as youngsters but soon get used to handling and calm down. All snakes can be escapologist especially hatchlings so you need to make sure that their container is escape proof.
What kind of enclosure would you recommend? as I hear there is a passionate debate on the subject.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It depends on the size of the snake you get. Tiny hatchlings can be started in a small plastic tub and as they grow faunariums (I think you call them Kritter Keepers) can be quite good but for larger snakes I like a wooden vivarium with sliding glass doors, fastened with a lock or rubber wedge. Some people keep adults in large Really Useful Boxes (RUBs) but I prefer the vivariums as you can see your snake and watch it doing what snakes do.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It depends on the size of the snake you get. Tiny hatchlings can be started in a small plastic tub and as they grow faunariums (I think you call them Kritter Keepers) can be quite good but for larger snakes I like a wooden vivarium with sliding glass doors, fastened with a lock or rubber wedge. Some people keep adults in large Really Useful Boxes (RUBs) but I prefer the vivariums as you can see your snake and watch it doing what snakes do.
Thank you for the information, it was quite helpful.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Doing more heavy research closing in on three I am most interested in:

Corn snake (Blizzard morph)

Ball python(pied, blue eyed leucistic, normal, ghost, calico)

Pueblan milksnake

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Doing more heavy research closing in on three I am most interested in:

Corn snake (Blizzard morph)

Ball python(pied, blue eyed leucistic, normal, ghost, calico)

Pueblan milksnake
Go for the Apricot Pueblan
Apricot.jpg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did a lot of research, think I am sticking to ball pythons as I can't find good sellers of milk snakes and corn snakes. Leaning towards the following five morphs in order:

Blue eyed leucistic
Pied
Normal
Ghost
Pewter

@Enn49 perhaps you can answer this genetics question: what would happen if someone were to breed a pied or a clown with a ghost or a spider.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Did a lot of research, think I am sticking to ball pythons as I can't find good sellers of milk snakes and corn snakes. Leaning towards the following five morphs in order:

Blue eyed leucistic
Pied
Normal
Ghost
Pewter

@Enn49 perhaps you can answer this genetics question: what would happen if someone were to breed a pied or a clown with a ghost or a spider.

Try using this http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wizard/

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Excellent link. The snake hobby is not going to overtake the tarantula hobby, though down the road after I get some experience, I would like to try breeding these fascinating creatures.

I spent many years breeding snakes and I still miss the joy of seeing the colubrids hatching, those little faces peeping out at the big wide world for the first time. Even the boas (live bearers) were a joy to watch as they emerged.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm willing to bet there is a snake forum, why don't you check out one of those?
I'm a few days late, but I actually joined one recently. One of the mods of this particular forum is also a mod on another tarantula forum I'm a member of.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think I have found some good sources for research, I think I will get a noodle or four Sooner rather than later.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Go for the Apricot Pueblan View attachment 33757
beautiful snake you have there-I have a young pueblan milk snake,
its an absolute nightmare-all it does is bite! it musks and poos everywhere whenever you handle it and its lightning fast!
I know this is due to lack of handling I'm sure fro previous owner-it doesn't put me off in anyway-
my corns and royal are well chilled out in comparison to the milk snake-fingers crossed in time it will settle :)

Latest posts