1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'd like to know more about snakes

Discussion in 'Vertebrate Pet Talk' started by PanzoN88, Nov 29, 2018.

1. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Well-Known Member

The past couple of weeks I've been looking into snakes, well milksnakes, other collubrids in general, and ball pythons. I have been doing my own research, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here. Anything I should know about them?

I've also been looking for reputable online sellers here in the states, but unlike the tarantula hobby, I can't find reliable sources for reviews, if I could find one, I would've bought one by this time next week at the latest.
  2. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member Premium Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

It depends what you want from your snake. Colubrids are more active than Royal Pythons (Balls) and are much more colourful. Both are easy to care for although Royals can go on hunger strikes which can be scary if you've not kept them before.
    I'm afraid I'm very out of touch nowadays with the snake world so I can't help you with US breeders.
    If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to try to answer them. I used to keep and breed snakes and had many different Colubrids and quite a few Royals.
    PanzoN88 likes this.
  3. PanzoN88

I'm most interested in corn snakes and milksnakes, anything I should know about them? I did find that they tend to be skittish especially when small.
  4. Enn49

I adore Cornsnakes. Both Corns and Milks are very unlikely to bite unless it's a feeding mistake (I always used tongs for feeding) and in general are great feeders. Yes, they can be quick as youngsters but soon get used to handling and calm down. All snakes can be escapologist especially hatchlings so you need to make sure that their container is escape proof.
  5. PanzoN88

What kind of enclosure would you recommend? as I hear there is a passionate debate on the subject.
  6. Enn49

It depends on the size of the snake you get. Tiny hatchlings can be started in a small plastic tub and as they grow faunariums (I think you call them Kritter Keepers) can be quite good but for larger snakes I like a wooden vivarium with sliding glass doors, fastened with a lock or rubber wedge. Some people keep adults in large Really Useful Boxes (RUBs) but I prefer the vivariums as you can see your snake and watch it doing what snakes do.
    PanzoN88 likes this.
  7. PanzoN88

Thank you for the information, it was quite helpful.
    Enn49 likes this.
  8. PanzoN88

Doing more heavy research closing in on three I am most interested in:

Corn snake (Blizzard morph)

Ball python(pied, blue eyed leucistic, normal, ghost, calico)

Pueblan milksnake
    LC72uk likes this.
  9. LC72uk

LC72uk Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

Go for the Apricot Pueblan Apricot.jpg
    Dave Jay and PanzoN88 like this.